Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water level for built in skimmers.

1. Back To Top    #1

Water level for built in skimmers.

Here's a dumb question.

I have an in ground pool. On the side is a "skimmer" The water level can be below the skimmer level, where it obviously doesn't work, and it can be above the skimmer level = ditto. But the opening is about 4 or 6 inches high. If the water level is on the high side, it doesn't seem to draw too well, and stuff and scum just sort of whorls about above the basket. If the water level is on the low side, it sort of operates in bursts, sucking air, filling up and draining and sucking air, etc.

So, what is the proper water level? How do you tell? How is it supposed to work?
    Or should I have a separate skimmer floating in the pool and just not use the skimmer draw except to increase water flow for backwashing?
    21k IG : Hayward Perflex EC65A DE Filter + 1.4 THP Northstar pump : Aquabot Turbo T2 : DelZone Eclipse-4 Ozonator : Floatron Ionizer : Some chlorine
    Pool cover an elephant can stand on. Painted concrete base or shell, with fiberglass upper side walls, and plastic/vinyl rim. Concrete deck.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water level for built in skimmers.

Well, every pool I've ever owned, you keep the water level at the midpoint.
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.