Algae? What am I fighting? Stuff on bottom of pool!

Jul 20, 2017
La Porte/ Texas
Hope this is the right place to post, new to TFP but love the info I have found on the sight.

ok so I was away in HI for 6 months and came back to a swamp because our cover ripped. Slammed as per sites instruction, adjusted chemicals, now crystal clear except one thing. After vacuuming several times, I still have small piles of tan stuff on the bottom that reappear within 30 minutes of vacuuming. I got in the pool and it's very soft and moves when brushed but settles shortly after. Another thing to note is that my Chlorine holds for 2 days and over night it's gone. I am not sure what I'm fighting here.

Results using taylor 2006 FAS/DPD complete kit

FC- 12
TC-12
CC-0 :)
PH-7.4 when CL levels are normal
CH-200
CYA- 40
TA-90

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 59
This looks exactly like what I have in my pool. At first I thought it was saw dust because I had a deck built, but several weeks later it keeps coming back. Water is super clear like yours, but this stuff keeps reappearing in creases and stuff in the liner and the middle of the pool.

If you can get some of the 'dust' smear it on a paper towel. If it is green, it is algae. If it is hard and grainy, it could be the calcium you scrubbed off, try some acid on it to see if it fizzes.

With your sudden loss of chlorine at times I would bet it is algae. Possibly hiding in a ladder or steps or seam of the pool.

Take care.

Thanks for the info and suggestions. I got in and sure enough its deposits from calcium build up. It's gritty and the same color as the stuff I scrubbed off. Now here lies the problem, how do I remove this? I did the sock over return trick a couple days ago and caught nothing after vacuuming and letting it filter. It breaks up into fine powder when messed with, wondering if it's to fine to catch. I added DE to filter as well, no change. I would hate to have to vac to waste ��

The test results above were taken about 3 hours ago. I believe the reason for scaling was the low PH along with everything else was almost non existing for 6 months. It is no longer forming and when I touch the small pieces it just breaks up into fine powder. I'm wondering if there is also build up in my filter and pipes from sitting without running. I was hoping the sock trick would work but eh no go. Also I have to kids begging to get in, is this safe to swim in (the calcium deposits)? Also is there something more tightly knitted/ or some other material Other than a sock I could try?

thanks for responding so quickly and helping me figure this out! It's driving me crazy lol

What's happening is that the scale is breaking up. Your CSI is slightly negative (good). Seriously, if it's big enough to see and handle, its big enough for the filter to strain out.

It's not especially harmful -- no different than the crust that grows in coffeepots and shower heads in hard water areas. It's okay for the kids to get ion. Heck, put 'em to work with a plastic scrub brush while they're in the water. Get the stuff off the walls and into the vacuum to the filter and then gone with a filter cleaning.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.