Cloudy water after swimming

May 26, 2007
Benton, La
Trying to figure out why my water is always cloudy after people swim...water can be clear as can be beforehand but is ALWAYS cloudy after we swim. It has been this way the last couple of years.

Last night, I shocked the pool. This morning we got up, brushed the walls & manually vacuumed the entire pool. After all that water was still crystal clear. Had about 5 pr 6 people seimming for awhile this afternoon & now...the water is cloudy.

Numbers from a few minutes ago are...
TC...12
CC...0
ALK...90
Calcium...160
pH...7.4
CYA...50
Phosphates...still high (above 1500, DARK blue on test)

Am using bleach for daily chlorine & mostly Cal Hypo to shock...The shock is not the problem because in years past that I used nothing but bleach, I still had the same problem.

It is very common - probably lots of air bubbles and sunscreen that settle out and breakdown after the swimming stops. Your numbers are great, don't worry about phosphates., they are not usually a problem :)

unfortunately, my phosphates are usually a problem & at least once a year I have to use the phosfloc to get the levels down...our fill water has something added to remove metals but at the same time it is adding phosphates. So far so good this year but I am having to keep the cl levels above 10 to keep the green away. I have let it slip to below 10 a couple of times already & the green tint has shown up.

No sunscreen has been used yet this year by anyone swimming. Will air bubbles make it look REAL cloudy?

Depending on how much activity is going on in the pool 8) , seriously though, the water should settle pretty soon after the activity has stopped. Have you looked into using borates as a way to keep your pool algae free - it seems that a lot of people have had success using borax to raise borates in their water, which helps to keep algae at bay. Since your water supply has a lot of phosphates it may a good solution for you. You can check out this post in the Pool Forum:

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=4712

It started off as an experiment to keep ph in line, but turned out it also helps with algae. It is really very interesting, and a lot of people are finding it really works :)t\

12 oz of 20 mule team will raise 1000 gallon 10 ppm and needs 6 oz of muriatic acid to neutaulize the pH rise. 60 oz of 20 mule team raises 1000 gal to 50 ppm and needs 30 oz of muriatic acid. Each box of 20 mule team is 76 oz by weight. You can do the rest of the math (or use JasonLions great online calculator to do it for you!)

Depends on the store. Bioguard and Proteam dealers should be able to as well as stores using Lamotte Waterlink or Waterlink Express testing if they have the borate option and reaget vials.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
bassadict,

That is really a puzzling issue you have. Swimmers should not make cloudy water. Have you ever done a complete test just prior to swimmers (clear water) and then just after the water turns cloudy?

I can't imagine you would see any difference but something is changing in your pool water and, for the life of me, I can think of no reasonable explanation.

Have you used any algaecides or other additives in your pool other than chlorine?

duraleigh said:
bassadict,

That is really a puzzling issue you have. Swimmers should not make cloudy water. Have you ever done a complete test just prior to swimmers (clear water) and then just after the water turns cloudy?

I can't imagine you would see any difference but something is changing in your pool water and, for the life of me, I can think of no reasonable explanation.

Have you used any algaecides or other additives in your pool other than chlorine?

I have done several before & after tests...the only change I ever see is maybe a ppm or 2 drop in the chlorine level but never any CC. It is wierd & is actually starting to Tick me off pretty good...nothing like having a pretty pool until 15 minutes after everyone starts swimming!

All I have used in the pool was a couple of bottles of phosfree earlier in the year (which didn't help since the phos level is so high) other than that, nothing but chlorine & some Borax last month to bump my ph back up. Oh, I did add baking soda also last month to bring up my TA. I have two tubs of Phosfloc that I am trying not to have to use but it is getting to where I have a real faint green tint to the water that goes away at shock level but a couple days later when I let the cl level fall back it gets the green tint again. I am talking, let it fall from 15-16 to about 12 & the green is back! The phosfloc usually takes care of that problem for most of the summer but that stuff is a MAJOR pain in the butt. Our tap water is full of phosphates so once I go awhile topping it off a couple times a week, the phos levels shoot back up again!

I called around all the local pool stores & none could check borates, I WILL be buying the strips! I am ready to try anything!!

Just to be sure...I came up with needing about 517oz (about 4 gallons) acid & 1030oz (13.5 boxes) Borax...Does this sound right? Pool is 27ft round, 4ft deep.

I plan to order the strips Monday & probably buy half the stuff needed & go ahead & dumo that. Once I get the strips in, I will finish it off to bring the level up to 50.

I also plan on starting a new thread when I get started with it & also try to post a few pics especially before & after.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.