Power Cable is too short!

Jul 12, 2009
Hi folks. My Aquatools 1.5 HP pump just pumped its last. I bought a Speck Pump model E71-11. I get home all happy and then notice... the cord is only 3 ft. long and my house outlet is about 22 ft. away. I can't find anywhere online to order a replacement cord that's 25 ft. long, for any brand. Anyone know where to find these things?

For now I wold hook up a drop cord so you can run the filter. If you are electrically inclined I would think about putting an outlet near the filter. When we put in our pool we had no electricity near the filter and had to run some power up there so we could plug in the filter.

I found a solution to the issue that I think will work. I took the old pump cord which is 25' and cut the end off of it and put the little electrical crimps on the end. They now fit on the new one. Haven't plugged it in yet as the pool store guy put the wrong end on one of the tubes so it won't connect to the front of the pump. The cord should be able to run the new pump I hope. The power cords seem pretty universal.

Ti, I'm not sure about electrical stuff. I read a couple how-to's on putting an outlet near the filter and it seems like much more of an issue than just using the long power cord. If it were 30-50 feet away, I could proabably justify going through the hassle more, but 20ish just doesn't seem like it would give me a real benefit. Has anyone put in an outlet that was kinda close to the house and have any input on their experience?

I sincerely implore you to seriously consider adding a dedicated receptacle closer to the pump. That's a long way to run a power cord on a 1-1/2 hp motor. It would need to be a 12awg cord, which I doubt it is. Also, if it's just plugged into a standard outside receptacle then it's on the same circuit as whatever else gets plugged into the rest of the receptacles on that circuit. It really needs a separate circuit.

How old was your other pump?
Was it the motor that gave up the ghost?

The cord is a 12AWG cord unless they mis-stamped it. The outside receptacle circuit goes to the GFCI in the garage. Nothing else is plugged into it. My other pump was bought with the pool back in 2001. I believe it was the motor. When I plugged it in, it would just have an electrical hum. The night before it started just humming, it was making a really loud pumping noise that I could hear from inside the house. The noise was fluctuating up and down so I unplugged it for the night so it wouldn't catch on fire or who knows what. In the morning I plugged it back in and it just made a hum. I tried to see if the impeller was jammed but when I turned it on the back of the pump with a screwdriver, it turned freely.

Now, this new pump is able to backwash the water and rinse the water as long as I need. However, when I put the multiport valve to filter, it will go for bout 30 seconds then cuts off. It tripped the circuit breaker on the breaker box twice randomly. (not each time I plugged it in on that setting.)

I'm having an electrician come to the house Wed to check out the wiring in the house. That particular receptacle has been problematic over the past few years. Also I read on here that a convenience outlet has to be around 5-10 feet from the pool, which would put it in the middle of my yard.

Hmm. I don't have a deck or any kind of special lighting out there. The backyard isn't really big enough to need more than the porch light.

Solution:
The power cable from the old pump works just fine. Turns out I had to return the new pump to the store and get a different one. Just my luck the one I bought had a bad motor in it. The new one works great with the 25' power cable, (I did have to cut the old end off of the old power cable and put new connectors (12-10 yellow ones) on it because the old connectors were corroded... this wasn't an extension cord just to clarify, it was a 25' pool pump cable. I was able to make a cable by cutting off one end of an extension cord (it was a Rigid 25', 12 gauge indoor/outdoor cable 15amp, 125V, insulated to 300V cable, (not the little skinny orange ones) however I didn't get the chance to put it on the 2nd new pump as the old 25' worked. I'm pretty sure it would have worked with the cable rating, but there was no need to try it since the black old 25' one worked out in the end.)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.