Need help fast! Pool overflow?

Jul 9, 2009
Georgia
Okay, we've only had our pool a couple of days and we just got the most torrential downpour we have had in awhile. If it doesn't let up soon we are definitely going to overflow the pool due to the rainwater. Is that okay? Do we need to do something? Please reply quickly because we're talking a matter of less than an hour at this rate.

Thanks!

As I understand it, the main issue with an AG overflowing is the risk of undercutting whatever it's sitting on. If you have a multiport valve with a "waste" setting, that's that fastest way to lower the water level; if not, you can backwash for long enough to lower the level.
--paulr

Not much you CAN do, really. Set the filter on backwash for a bit. Probably not much to backwash since its so new. You can set the filter to waste and pump water out that way.

Edit: Paul beat me to the post!

Thanks both of you. We're backwashing some water out of the pool right now, but it's clear we have to get some channels dug and a retaining wall up ASAP. They had to grade one side of the yard up about 4-5' to level the pool and a LOT of dirt is washing away as well as alot of dirt washing from the hill down into our Heat & Air unit. We managed to redirect a good bit of it, but as soon as it stops raining we will be out there with shovels, if we can even wait that long.

Here you can see the before and after.
Before
048.jpg

After (and it's still raining, must not as hard)

012-1.jpg

Here you can see how it's washing down on our air unit.

013.jpg

manomelissa said:
Thanks both of you. We're backwashing some water out of the pool right now, but it's clear we have to get some channels dug and a retaining wall up ASAP. They had to grade one side of the yard up about 4-5' to level the pool and a LOT of dirt is washing away as well as alot of dirt washing from the hill down into our Heat & Air unit. We managed to redirect a good bit of it, but as soon as it stops raining we will be out there with shovels, if we can even wait that long.
Yes, you need to reinforce that ASAP. Fill has a tendency to settle and/or wash out. Hopefully your backwash line is well clear of the fill.
--paulr

I would do your retaining wall soon! We got Windsor stone and did one under our pool as we had a little area that was washing out but nothing like yours is.
They are forecasting rain here in Ga all week, not sure where you are ...

I would just like to reinforce <pun intended> that you need to start on that retaining wall A.S.A.P!!! If that dirt gives way, your pool will too! It really should have been put up before the pool.

Thanks all. We have things shored up for the night and hopefully the retaining wall will be most of the way in tomorrow. We didn't know we would need that kind of wall beforehand, so there was no way to do it first. We didn't level the yard out, the installers do the grading themselves. Fortunately we have a year guarantee on the install, so if things do go south, they'll have to fix it.

Let's hope it doesn't go south with you or your family in it either! :shock:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
keep a copy of that 1yr warranty handy...generally adding fill to level the pool area is a no no :hammer: I hope they gave the fill plenty of time to settle before installing to pool and then another 20K gallons of weight on top of it. I agree with the others...get that retaining wall up asap...good luck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.