adding bleach to pool

Jul 12, 2009
I just had my brick edging and tile cleaned. The guy who did this told me that to remove stains in my pool I should add 15 gallons of Clorox bleach to the pool and let the filter run overnight. This doesn't sound right to me. Would this do any good? or harm? Thanks.

Did a lot of reading, didn't find anything that answered my question. Would this harm my pool? Or would it actually help?
I realize it could help under the right conditions, but I still never read anything where anyone added 15 gallons of bleach to their pool. This seems excessive to me and could be very detremental wheather the pool is vinal or plaster like mine.

how many gallons is your pool? A plaster or fiberglass pool can withstand very high FC levels for a short period of time (and this is often what is done to control black algae).
If your pool is 20k gallons then 15 gallons of ultra bleach will only raise the FC about 45 ppm. If you have a CYA level of about 100 ppm (not uncommon for a pool running on Trichlor) this is about the amount you need to kill black algae.
If your pool is 10k gallons it will raise the FC to 90 which is what might be needed to kill white water mold or pink slime at these CYA levels

Without knowing your CYA level it's really impossible to say whether this amount of bleach is excessive of not.

Also, if the stains are metal the bleach will have no effect or could make them worsen. If the stains are organic then, once you take the CYA level into account, nuking the pool with chlorine will remove the stains and is standard operating procedure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.