DE Clumping / Bacqacil ?

Hello!

Last spring, for the first time since we installed our pool five years earlier, we had trouble with the DE filter pressure running too high and not effectively filtering the pool. After taking it apart, it was obvious why, the fingers were caked together with DE and I realized that perhaps I should have been cleaning them regularly! Put everything back together, and had a great, trouble free summer.

This summer I noticed the same symptoms after one month of use, and took the DE filter apart again and discovered the caking / clumping to be as bad or worse then the previous year. That's the picture DEFilter1. So, now I'm thinking it's strange that it was five years for it to get that bad the first time, but now it got that bad after one year. After cleaning and reassembly, the filter worked like a charm!

For a week.

Same symptoms, took it apart again, and there it was. Not as severe, but definite clumping and clogging, and this time, it's pink! That's DEFilter1Week picture.

So, now I'm wondering, what changed that could cause this? instead of hurting my rookie pool owner head too much, I'm asking the experts here on Trouble Free Pool! Changes made to the pool setup over the last few years:

Two years ago: Replaced Hayward Continuous Run Pump with a Hayward Variable speed pump. This pump runs on high (3000 rpm) for a twelve hour cycle, then drops to 500rpm until I turn it back to high, generally when we are going to be using the pool in the next few days.

Last year: Replaced the Heater after the heater core corroded to the point that it was leaking like a sieve. Had Iron Issues last year but corrected this after about a month.

This year: Switched to Bacqacil from Chlorine. We love the water difference, but are finding it to be cost prohibitive to maintain.

So - What say you? Any ideas? Any help for a poor fella that had to leave work early yesterday to run home to take apart and clean the DE filter while ten 12 year old boys were waiting to swim on one of our hottest days of the year during my son's birthday bash?

Hoping y'all can assist!DEFilter1.jpgDEFilter1Week.jpg

Hello!

Last spring, for the first time since we installed our pool five years earlier, we had trouble with the DE filter pressure running too high and not effectively filtering the pool. After taking it apart, it was obvious why, the fingers were caked together with DE and I realized that perhaps I should have been cleaning them regularly! Put everything back together, and had a great, trouble free summer.

This summer I noticed the same symptoms after one month of use, and took the DE filter apart again and discovered the caking / clumping to be as bad or worse then the previous year. That's the picture DEFilter1. So, now I'm thinking it's strange that it was five years for it to get that bad the first time, but now it got that bad after one year. After cleaning and reassembly, the filter worked like a charm!

For a week.

Same symptoms, took it apart again, and there it was. Not as severe, but definite clumping and clogging, and this time, it's pink! That's DEFilter1Week picture.

So, now I'm wondering, what changed that could cause this? instead of hurting my rookie pool owner head too much, I'm asking the experts here on Trouble Free Pool! Changes made to the pool setup over the last few years:

Two years ago: Replaced Hayward Continuous Run Pump with a Hayward Variable speed pump. This pump runs on high (3000 rpm) for a twelve hour cycle, then drops to 500rpm until I turn it back to high, generally when we are going to be using the pool in the next few days.

Last year: Replaced the Heater after the heater core corroded to the point that it was leaking like a sieve. Had Iron Issues last year but corrected this after about a month.

This year: Switched to Bacqacil from Chlorine. We love the water difference, but are finding it to be cost prohibitive to maintain.

So - What say you? Any ideas? Any help for a poor fella that had to leave work early yesterday to run home to take apart and clean the DE filter while ten 12 year old boys were waiting to swim on one of our hottest days of the year during my son's birthday bash?

Hoping y'all can assist!View attachment 66124View attachment 66125

I feel for you and can SO relate to this, being a baqaucil user for the past 25+years. I, too, much prefer the feel of the water with biguanide sanitizing systems as opposed to chlorine, BUT, what goes along with it is a greater incidence of issues with white water mold and pink slime. Others here could explain it in much greater detail, but basically the problem is that the hydrogen peroxide oxidizer does not kill the biofilms as well as chlorine. Compounding the problem is that once the white water mold and pink slime develops and proliferates in the pool, it readily consumes the oxidizer and so it's almost impossible to maintain an adequate level. Without an adequate level, the water will quickly cloud up. And, as is quite obvious from your pictures, the filter will build up pressure and not do its job when it's full of what you see there. I didn't need to see the picture...I've seen that in my own system just the other week. My brand new grids turned pink. i'm just about ready to switch back but am trying a few other products that are supposed to take care of the problem. Quite frankly, I'm not real hopeful. If you want to stay on baquacil, I'd suggest trying their Line Cleaner - I've not yet used it either - but it would be worth a try. It is supposed to clear the plumbing of the slime and mold. Then, after using it, you should use a flocculent to collect all the stuff, then vacuum to waste. MY problem, unfortunately, is that my filter system does not allow for being able to do that. I can either have the filter set in normal, filtering mode, or backwash. There are no other modes. It's not a 'multi-port' system. Good luck...to both of us.

Yeah...I might be joining you. If I do convert, it won't be before next spring. From talking to many people here, it appears that the middle of the summer is not the best time to do it. I used chlorine when I first started the pool back in '89, but I think I only used it for a few years. I, along with a friend who also has a pool, ran into a chlorine demand situation. It got to the point where it was calling for insane amounts of chlorine, so that's when we both decided to switch to non-chlorine. He does better than I do being that he uses a sand filter. A DE filter and biguanide is not the best combination.

Good luck to you as well....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.