Jandy 1400 not making chlorine

Jul 12, 2009
I'm having a similar problem. Jandy 1400 is about 18 months old. Not making chlorine. Cell is clean, salt level is perfect. The only light on is "Reversing." No codes pop up.
The cell voltage measures .09VAC. Should be 22 to 30 VDC!
Any thoughts?

I examined the Cell closely. Looks very clean, no scaling since I cleaned it recently. I did a continuity test on the cables, they are fine. Now, while looking at the plates I noticed the plastic that holds the plates is cracked at one end. Doesn't look like that should effect the operation. The plates are a silver/gray color and only 18 months old.
My real concern is that if the cell is bad wouldn't a Code pop up?
Is there a definitive test for the Cell? There is continuity between the each of the 3 plates and each of the cable holes. Wondering if the Circuit board could be bad. No Voltage!
No Codes! Hate to buy a new Cell unless I am pretty sure that is the problem
Thanks for your help.

i'd say you are testing in wrong mode for starters

You are supposed to have DC voltage on cell, not AC.

It's impossible to have VAC if you are measuring VDC (and that's probably why you are seeing such small reading).

Also in most modern SWGs you would see higher voltage and lower current when the cell starts to wear out.
In your case, i'd say when you measure using DC setting on your multimeter you will see 0 volts because your unit is not outputting anything.

That small VAC reading is probably just the noise on cables which can come from any source.

The test for the cell would be: give it the operating DC voltage from any source and see if it draws any current (makes sure your power supply and cable you use to connect the cell to it can handle 25 amps though). If you have 2 old but still working car batteries, that will do (you'd need to connect them in sequence and make sure the polarity is right).

Easier alternative: find someone with same SWG and put your cell on their unit and vice versa :)

There should be no continuity between silver and black plates, but depending on the cell design there might be continuity between same colored plates.

By the sounds of it it looks like your unit is just off/wound down to 0%, although you might want to confirm that with someone who knows more about Jandy SWGs.

I'd get someone who is qualified electrician to open the unit up and measure the voltages inside it to see where the juice stops flowing. :)

Obvious question: being 18 months old, isn't it still covered by warranty?

So, at this point I will assume it is a Cell gone bad. It gets very hot here in Fort Mohave, so it did get heavy use the last 2 summers....118 today. I'll see what Jandy will offer.
Thanks, I really appreciate your help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
board

cell is merely an electrolysis chamber which makes chlorine out of salt when current is applied.
for your purposes you can probably even use 1 battery, you should still see some output

instead of battery you can use any DC power supply which allows you to control voltage and has appropriate current rating

by the way, to gauge whether cell is working you will need to either measure current or do a visual check for chlorine bubbles.

also make sure that cell is disconnected from control box when you do the test

If the cell reversing light is on, press the up arrow to 100 percent then turn the unit off, wait 5 or so seconds, then turn back on. Then wait about 4 to 5 min for unit to come up, then start your voltage tests.

Best if chlor is near zero in pool. Loosen the downstream union on the cell till it starts to drip. Take a water sample and check for Cl. This takes your Cya level out of the equation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.