Clear, Green Water

I have a tiny Intex, but bought the $25 FAS-DPD kit from Dave, and I'm glad I did. I had trouble knowing if my chlorine reading was 2 or 5 on the hth one, so I like the precision of his. Especially if you ever need to super-chlorinate (the act of shocking your pool), I think you'll appreciate having the FAS-DPD kit - especially since draining and refilling apparently isn't a great option for you. Dave also sells a CYA kit for $17 that has enough for 16 tests, which is way more than a normal Intex user would need in one or even two seasons. Next year, I'm going to save the $20 on the 6-way hth and buy the following:

1. $25 FAS-DPD kit from Dave - which I will use any time I want reassurance on FC versus CC or if I (or my friends) ever need to shock with extra bleach

2. $17 CYA kit from Dave - which I will share with my many many Intex friends so we all know when to stop the Dichlor

3. $5 hth kit that just does chlorine and pH - which I will use daily

That will be the best $47 I could spend to ensure my kids can swim all day every day if the weather permits. And if my friends chip in for the CYA testing, I will get off even cheaper!

Using BBB from the very beginning, I've had nothing but clear water and good numbers. Some friends not using BBB however, with the same pool as ours, recently had very slightly cloudy or dull water - could tell something was "off." With Dave's FAS-DPD I could tell after one test that their CC's were over .5. So, despite the hth OTO kit indicating high chlorine, they actually needed to add more bleach, not less. Couldn't make that distinction using the OTO test. So, again, if draining and refilling isn't a good option for you due to using a well, perhaps just getting the $25 kit is the way to go --- but don't let me talk you into it, follow Dave's advice.

good info. i'm thinking of splurging on a better kit. the walmarts in this area only sell aqua chem products and they aren't the easiest to read.

i just got back today and tested the pool. The pH was about 7.1, so I added about 14 oz of borax. The chlorine was off the chart still. hopefully taking the cover off will bring it down, but i was surprised that the chlorine was still that high. but i don't know if it is testing FC, TC or CC. i'm also guessing on my CYA, and i don't want to keep doing that. so, i'm on the fence about what to do right now. If I'm going to spend nearly $50, i may as well get the good one and spend $70.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Unfortunately that depends entirely on your CYA level. If the result is shock level or lower, then yes it's safe. IF it's above shock level, that's debateable - some folks say yes, some no. It's a "to each his own" comfort level kind of thing.

I have swam up to shock level and not given it a second thought.

If you mean "free" like don't pay for it, try a pool store if you have one close. It is my understanding they often test for free then try to sell you a bunch of garbage. Just get the test. If you meant "free cya" like "free chlorine" I'll let someone who knows something respond.

If you mean "free" like don't pay for it, try a pool store if you have one close.
Pool store testing, especially for CYA, is often worth exactly what you pay for it. I would go to a pool store for pH or a total chlorine test but they're simply too erratic for much else. Getting results that are w-a-a-ay off the mark often leads to adding the wrong dosage of chemistry and no resolution of your problems.

i meant free cya, as in not paying for a cya test. i don't care to go back to a pool store.

so i may end up purchasing a tf test kit after all.

i did the chlorine test using half pool water and half nonchlorine water. it came to about 4 ppm, so my TC is at 8ppm. i'm guessing that my cya is about 50 (maybe less), so it should be ok for the kids to swim? i shocked it before going out of town (taking it to around 16ppm) and put two 3" tabs in it while we were gone.

I'll test it again tonight. pH is 7.6.

are there any alternatives for purchasing a CYA kit only, or would I be better off to purchase the whole kit?

IMHO, a whole kit. It may seem expensive, but it will last several seasons (store it in a cool dry place, away from light-I keep mine in the shipping box in a closet)

It takes ALL the guesswork out, it gives you peace of mean and confidence that you have complete control of your pool. :goodjob:

It's safe to swim. :wink:

You can order the HTH 6-way online, $25 or so from PoolGeek.com, for example, but then you add shipping and you're half way to the TF100. The 6-way only tests total chlorine and has enough CYA reagent for 2-3 tests. In my opinion, the TF100 has more bang for the buck, so consider it an early birthday gift to yourself and order one. :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.