Help with a pump hose blowing off

Jul 12, 2009
Hi, everyone...I am having some pump issues and need some advice. Last year, the pump that came with my above ground pool, which is an oval 15' x 30', 52" deep above-ground pool, croaked. We couldn't afford the $350+ for a new Hayward pump, so we stupidly went the Rec Warehouse and got some off-brand, 2-speed pump. Low is like 'no movement', and High is ridiculous...We use a Mr. Zippy cleaner, and we have to have the pump on high to get it to move...well, suddenly, the hose from the top of the pump to the side of the filter flies off. We put it back on, tighten the clamp, and it does it again...of course, this happened when we weren't looking, so we lost a good bit of water. We go to the pool store to talk to them and they say we have the wrong hose on there (the one they just sold us two weeks ago because ours was leaking)...so, we spend another $10 for a section of the white, softer hose. Clamp it on, turn on the pump, and all seems to be good - until we go inside and come back 10 minutes later to find a geyser again. So, of course we were having a pool party that night, so we just turn the pump on low and left it. The pressure gauge is always at 30psi on low, and jumps to 44psi on high...the old pump never went above 12psi. We were told to ignore the pressure. We're wondering now if something might be clogged in the sand filter or something...we have back washed several times. I read somewhere on here about about hard-plumbing, which we could do, but I'd rather not have to spend the time or money if there is some 'reason' this is happening.

Any comments would be appreciated. We're really frustrated...and, truthfully, I think the pool places around here are mostly incompetent folks...different answers from each person - very frustrating. I think this pump is awful, but, it was only $130, which was better for me financially...stupid in the long run. Anyway - please let me know what you think. My pool, supposedly, is 10,500 gallons....I don't even think we need a two speed pump...but, it's what they had.

Thanks for your help - Pam

What cleaner? Am I supposed to have a cleaner? The pump is 2.5hp. The filter is one of the normal Jacuzzi sand filters...I have no idea how much sand it holds or anything, as the label offers several selections, but none of them are checked...Since we got the pool, we've had to replace the top part of the filter...the control...but kept the same bottom.

I just went out and turned the pump off and looked to see where the gauge was - it's at 30psi with the pump off - so, I guess the gauge is faulty, which I'll replace tomorrow.

Is there any kind of special anything I need to get to use the PVC to plumb the pump/filter? I guess that's what I'll have to do.

Thanks for your help,

Pam

My responses are in bold.

kalmarrin said:
What cleaner? Am I supposed to have a cleaner?

I was refering to the Mr. Zippy cleaner you mentioned before. Is that a suction side(attaches to skimmer) or pressure side(attaches to return) type cleaner? If it's suction side, then it wouldn't be causing the problem.

The pump is 2.5hp.

:shock: Well there's(most likely) your problem! That pump is to big for the pool and (maybe) to big for the filter, depending on how big it is. At least it's a 2 speed so you don't have to run on high all the time. When you get that new gauge, let me know what the pressure is on high and low. It might not be to high after all.

Is there any kind of special anything I need to get to use the PVC to plumb the pump/filter? I guess that's what I'll have to do.

Nope, just make sure you put Unions before and after the pump, and after the filter so you can disassemble it without cutting pipe. Also, make sure all your fittings are Sch. 40 and not DWV. I'd also recommend putting a ball valve just after the skimmer(before any unions) and just before the return(between eyeball and last Union) so if you ever have to disconnect anything you don't loose all the water in the pool.

Thanks for your help,

Pam

Hi, lawnboy - thanks for your reply. I'm starting to panic about the hard plumbing, ball valves, unions and all. Is there a picture of this anywhere on the forum that you know of?

Zippy just attaches to the return inside the pool. He will not move at all if the pump is on low...it has to be on high. And the hose we're having an issue with is the one that goes from the top of the pump to the top side of the filter. The other hoses (from the skimmer to the pump, and from the filter to the return) are just fine...no issues there.

I will get a new gauge tomorrow...and try to see if I can have the Home Depot guy help me assemble the hard plumbing...if you know of any 'detailed' drawings or explanations about what I need for that, it sure would be helpful. I'm usually pretty good at figuring these things out, but I'm not familiar with the unions...maybe the HD guy will know.

Thanks again - I'll check this thread before I go to the store tomorrow.

Pam

Make sure your fittings have hose barbs on them. If you don't want the expense right now of unions for disconnection, that's ok. Mines the same way. If the fitting where the pump hose fits on to the top of the filter is smooth, that will cause you problems. It should have barbs on it to help hold the hose on. I had trouble with that years ago. Hope that helps.

Can you post a picture of the pump and offending hose fitting? Be sure to get the motor data plate if you can.

You don't say what size pool you have (it'd be nice if you could put it in your signature), but a 2-1/2 hp pump is a monster! :shock:

The male connected that is part of the pump, does not have barbs..so I am assuming if I went to a PVC piping I would have to glue it. The female connector coming from the filter was fitted with a male PVC fitting to make it into a female. The hose is just a white, ribbed, cheapy hose that the pool stores carry.

I did give the size of my pool in my original post, but I have added to my signature now so there will be no confusion.

The brand of pool pump is AquaPure Workhorse Superflow. It is a 2.5 hp pump with two speeds. The low speed barely moves and the high speed is what we have to use to run the Zippy cleaner.

Hope that helps - sorry I can't get any pictures of it...

Pam

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.