In The Industry
Mar 6, 2009
Chalfont, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Big storm last night in the North East and our pool was flooded-muddy water. I started the filter and I am backwashing. Is this the best way to clear it up? I can only see the first step. I have a brand new de filter and a variable speed pump. Any detaild instructions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Re: Muddy Water More Info

Here is some more info:
Inground pool
23,000 gallons
Inline Chlorinator
Intelliflo Variable speed pump
DE Filter 60
2 skimmers
50 sf spa-not muddy

Welcome to the forum.

I think what you're doing is about the only way to tackle the job. It may take a few days and a lot of backwashing with the DE filter (You're watching for pressure rise, aren't you) but there's no real shortcut that I am aware of.

lion1143 said:
I'm switching gears and letting the dust settle. The filter isn't cutting it. Also, after the dust settles, how do I vacuum to waste?

You may not be able to vac to waste, unless you have a multiport valve. I didn't. I only had a pull up backwash valve when I had a DE filter and on an old sand filter. I have a multiport now with a sand filter and I just love it. There is a position on the multiport valve that likely says waste - mine does.

Well, leaving it settle didn't work...still brown. Turned the filter back on and that seems to be working. Guy at the pool store said to shock it and keep filtering. I'm going to to try that. Thanks for the suggestions.

that's what the filter is for. the guy at the pool store is giving you a line. you may or may not need to shock. and even if you do, shocking isn't dumping a certain amount chlorine or granular junk in and wiping your hands clean. it's also not something that's done on any kind of regular basis. if you follow the plan here, you shouldn't ever have to shock (the right way or the wrong way). pool-school/shocking_your_pool
you can care for your pool how you want to, but if you read pool-school/ specifically the articles on water chemistry, you will have a better understanding of pools than the pool store, and your pool will probably be easier and cheaper to take care of. it will probably look better than it ever has also.

I hear you, Reebok. I'm still struggling with the water but I should be able to bring it around by keeping the filter on. It's a double whammy here, new pool owner and big flood into pool. I'm going to keep running and backwashing the filter. Hopefully I will be able to see the second step soon. Thanks for the input.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Still muddy on day two. I'm running the filter 24/7 and vacuuming/backwashing in between-although I cannot vacuum to waste. I'm afraid to use any heavy duty chemicals as the pool is only three weeks old (plaster). I guess my biggest question is, will it ever clear up? And how long? Any help would be appreciated!

duraleigh said:
I think what you're doing is about the only way to tackle the job. It may take a few days and a lot of backwashing with the DE filter (You're watching for pressure rise, aren't you) but there's no real shortcut that I am aware of.

if you think it's something else, you'll need to get a full set of test results. from your own kit preferably. from one of the recommended kits preferably.
you also need a bottle of POP.

I had a similar problem last year...I was filling my pool overnight (I have well water) and the well pump sucked up a ton of dirt and dumped it into the pool.

The only thing you can do is filter, bump, filter, bump, and then backwash when your pressure doesn't decrease after bumping.

It took me two weeks of 24/7 filtering (bumping almost every hour when possible) and 50 lbs of DE to get mine clear again, so I feel for you!

http://www.troublefreepool.com/when-to-backwash-de-when-filtering-a-really-dirty-pool-t5301.html

Day Three-I can finally se the second step. Brushing, backwashing and using enough DE is definitely working. I'm hoping to see the bottom today. Thanks for all the recommendations!

Day 5-almost crystal clear. I could have cleared it in three if I knew what I know now. Just in case this happens to anyone else, here is what worked for me:

Vacuum, Backwash, Brush Backwash, rinse & repeat-vacuum to wast if you can. Make sure that you add plenty of DE after every backwash. Also, keep that filter running!

We had a big storm also and I am a brand new pool owner. My numbers seem to be in line, but I had no CYA. I added the liquid form of that through the skimmer. Now my TA is way high, like 160. I have a SWG and 20x40 vinyl pool. I am not even sure what algea looks like, so I would say that our water looks muddy, like a lake. I ran the aqua vac like 3 times, I have backwashed and also used the "waste" lever on our sand filter. I can see where the vacuum is cleaning the "film" of dirt. Thoughts from anyone?! I have lots of visitors coming this week for the 4th of July and not a clue how to attack this!

lion1143 said:
Day 5-almost crystal clear. I could have cleared it in three if I knew what I know now. Just in case this happens to anyone else, here is what worked for me:

Vacuum, Backwash, Brush Backwash, rinse & repeat-vacuum to wast if you can. Make sure that you add plenty of DE after every backwash. Also, keep that filter running!

Just make sure you have the correct amount of DE as specified on the filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.