Above Ground Pool and switching to the BBB method

Jul 8, 2007
The stats:

Above Ground 24' circle ~13,500 gallons

Using HTH 5 way test kit
TC=0
PH=7.5
CYA = <30 (filled the entire tube and can clearly see the black dot)

A few weeks ago, I replaced the vinyl liner and filled my pool with fresh water. I started using the HTH "Super Shock" 1lb bags as directed and put a floating chlorinator in the pool with 2-way tablets. Water was fine for about 2 weeks, then started to become cloudy. I was unable to maintain a chlorine reading day to day. Add the HTH Super shock in the evening and the next day it would have a reading of 0 again.

Last week we were out of town on vacation and came back to a pea soup green pool. I added ~ 5lbs of chlorine to the pool and overnight it turned to a milk bath pool. Brushed, vacuumed and added 1lb of chlorine every day since and the pool is turning green again.

So, I found this site yesterday and I am looking to use the BBB method. I just got the HTH 5 way and 15 gallons of 6% bleach. I am uncertain of what level (ppm) to keep my pool at to shock it with bleach. Also, by reading some other posts, I assume the CYA is WAY too low. What should I do to raise it?

This site is awesome and look forward to saving a lot of $$$ by following your suggestions of BBB!

Thanks!

You should get some CYA, also called stabalizer, and put it in a sock and put that either in the skimmer or hanging near a return. You should aim for 30 or 40 ppm CYA. I would start with adding 3 lbs of CYA and see where that gets you.

Should I start adding bleach to the pool ASAP? Based on the "Bens Best Guess Chart" it looks like I should maintain 12-15 ppm to shock my pool, which looks like I should start off with 3 gallons of 6% to reach that. Also, If I should start adding the bleach, should I wait until this evening or start now, ~3:30pm?

Thanks!

You do want chlorine in the pool. However, with a very low, or zero, CYA level the sun will burn off all of your chlorine each day. You will get the most value out of chlorine added right around, or just after, sunset. If you can manage it, retesting and adding chlorine again several hours later in the evening will help. Many people also add chlorine in the morining, but without CYA it won't do a great deal before the sun gets it.

Pool Update!

Well,

The Algae is under control, have had recognizable chlorine for 3 nights in a row and have my CYA levels ~35ppm.

The pool is still rather cloudy...seem to be making progress put seems awfully slow! Have the filter running 24x7 and test the water 3 times daily. I tried 5 oz of the HTH high concentrate floculant/clarifier last night and it appears to have made no difference.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Be patient. You are making wonderful progress. It can take the filter several days to clear cloudy water after the algae is dead. You should see some improvement each day. Remember to backwash/clean the filter when the pressure goes up 10 lbs or every couple of days in any case.

The Mermaid Queen said:
I suspect the CYA fell out and is on the bottom of your pool! It usually takes several days for it to dissolve..

True for some pools, but mine will absorb 36oz that way in 24 hours. No clue why.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Be careful which of the HTH products you dump in your pool - some of the algaecides include copper or other ingredients that you don't want. Stick with bleach and keep an eye on your ph as well. Stock whatever you may need to bring the PH up or down along with your stock of bleach. For now, those are the two items you will need. Keep testing!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.