Hayward Tristar Motor Replacement

May 30, 2012
Allentown, PA
Hello,
I have a Tristar SP3215X20 pump, and I would like to replace the worn 10 year old Emerson 2HP Motor. I can't read the model on the motor because it is worn off. I would like a motor that is quieter if possible. I'm not sure what brand is recommended or if 2HP is needed, or if I should be considering a variable speed motor. I do have a chlorine generator and my pool size is in my signature. Thanks for your help.

If you're going to replace the motor, I think that you could go to a lower power motor and a smaller impeller.

I would suggest a SPX3205C impeller and a total hp of 1.0.

You might want to consider getting a variable speed pump or two speed for energy savings and noise reduction.

Check for rebates from your utility.

Can you post a picture of the pump? I believe Hayward has changed the motor on the Tristar at least once. Quick Google search shows you need a square flange motor but I want to be sure. If that's the case, get a Century USQ1202, or a USQ 1152 if you want to bump down to 1.5 HP and don't forget to replace those shaft seals while you're at it!

Thanks for the help. The motor is a square flange mount. I have been reading through pool school and found that my pump is most likely oversized BIG time. I was reading and thinking a .5HP to 1.5 variable speed or 2 speed 220V would be great (or something close to this) I find that I have to run my chlorine generator at least 8hrs a day in full sun to keep my FC >7ppm. I would like to have a lower HP unit and have it run longer to help my chlorine gen. plus save energy. I use a Aquabot bravo to clean the pool, so the motor/ pump is not a factor in cleaning, and I do not have any slides, waterfalls, or spas. James I'm not familiar with what changing the impeller does to the pump? As I ponder about this, I think it would be nice to have a 1HP if that is all I need, but I don't want to find out that it is too weak. Is it? Please let me know what motors meet these criteria. Thanks Again for the help.

You could definitely bump down to a 1.5 HP single speed. I admittedly have little practical experience with variable speed pumps and salt systems. Not saying you can't do it I just have no idea what rating of motor you would need.

As far as HP vs water movement, there are generally two factors that affect how much water a pump flows (plumbing size, filter size, and other factors notwithstanding). Those are the RPM of the motor (which is fixed on a single speed motor to 3450 RPM) and the size of the impeller. A pump with a bigger impeller will move more water than a pump with a smaller impeller at the same speed. The size of the impeller is matched to the power rating of the pump, so a larger impeller needs more HP to move it without overloading and/or slowing down the pump.

Two speed or variable speed is probably best.

Single speed is cheapest upfront. A new impeller paired with a new, smaller motor gives you a lower power pump.

A 2 speed or variable speed motor is going to be expensive enough that a new pump is probably a better deal.

I'm leaning towards the cheaper option. New motor single speed. The names I'm seeing are Century, AO Smith, and US motors/ Emerson. I'm concerned the 1HP might cause dead spots leading to algae and could take noticeably longer to shock the pool. If this is not the case I'm leaning towards the 1HP. A 1.5 HP should be a cost savings and quieter when compared to the 2HP that is on there now. Would this one work for my pump?
AO Smith Swimming Pool Motor USQ1102 Square Flange 1 HP Brand New

The 1 hp is more than enough for your pool. You have to replace the impeller with the new motor. Here are the parts you should get.

SPX3205C impeller
SPX3021R Impeller Ring
SPX4000Z1 Diffuser O-Ring
SPX3200SA Shaft Seal Assembly
SPX3200T Housing O-Ring

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The 1 hp is more than enough for your pool. You have to replace the impeller with the new motor. Here are the parts you should get.

SPX3205C impeller
SPX3021R Impeller Ring
SPX3200T Housing O-Ring

I'd rate the difficultly of this project a #3 out of 5 (several thing can go wrong if you haven't done it before).

SPX3205C impeller
SPX3021R Impeller Ring
SPX3200T Housing O-Ring

Hi James,
I ordered the items listed but noticed that the impeller is for a 1/2HP motor SPX3205C impeller is this the wrong part? Thanks

Pumps are confusing to understand as far as power.

There are two ways to label power, maximum power and full load power.

The TriStar uses full load power ratings. The true power is about 1 hp.

The 3205C is correct.

okay thanks for clearing that up James. I appreciate your expert advice. I was looking at the parts diagram Hayward | TriStar Full Rated Pump | Replacement Parts Diagram and just thought I better check on it. Just wondering how does the size of the impeller impact the flow rate and the pressure at the filter and return jets? My pressure gauge is about 17PSi after backwashing will that go up or down? Thanks

The pressure will go down. The size of the impeller determines the power that the pump will use.

The flow will go down some but not that much. It will be more than enough.

Every pump has a head curve that describes how flow varies with total pressure (return side and suction side).

If you go to Hayward's tristar page, you can find the total power use for each pump and the pump curve.

The total hp of the 1/2 hp is about 1.0. They list it as 0.99 so that they can sell it in places like California.

In places like California, they don't allow 1.0 hp or bigger single speed pumps. Single speed pumps have to be less than 1.0 hp.

If a filter pump is 1.0 hp or bigger, it has to be two speed or variable speed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.