Algae. Maybe.

doc8404

Silver Supporter
Sep 13, 2015
Rome, NY
Wasn't monitoring like I did last year and like I need to be.
Came home the other day and appeared to have spots of algae or dirt all over bottom.
Water clear as could be.

I brushed it up and since it appeared to become a cloud, and my wife swearing it was greenish, I figured I would slam.

3.75 gallons of 10%.
FC 19
CC 0.0
TA and pH have been holding at 120 and 7.2-7.4
CYA 35-40

next/this morning: 18.5 and 0.0
left the solar cover off so it would burn some off.
Brushed the entire pool including the bottom.
Today's air temp was 90 degrees and water hit 82.

Testing now at 9:15pm
FC 5.5
CC 1.0

anything else I need to do?
appeared OCLT was good to go.

Did i really burn that much FC just with the sun and a brief swim?
Or do I have something going on?
if so, monitor or SLAM again?

I feel I was very accurate in last night and testing this morning. Can you have the free chlorine stay the same but combined chloramines drop?

Will certainly keep a very close eye on it. I tested again this morning. Is this even possible?

FC 5.5
CC 0.0

Looks like the rain dropped my CYA to less than 20.
Guess that's why that one sunny day and 2-3 days of not testing or treating let that algae grow.

We must've caught it just in time because we had no issues after one overnight slam. I have bags of Dichlor and tabs of TriChlor. Time to throw a pound of Dichlor shock in each day for the next 4 to 6 days to bring the CYA up.

Depends on how long between tests. CYA naturally breaks down about 3-5 ppm per month, maybe a bit more in intense sun. The testing procedure must be the same with the same ambient conditions. Even then, the testing has a variable of +/- 10 ppm.

Take care.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks.
The bags of dichlor (bioguard smart shock) are coming in handy.
Appears 1# raises my FC 2.5.

And last CYA test was a different bottle of reagent but more importantly as you pointed out, about a 20° difference in water temperature.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.