Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt water without a SWCG

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt water without a SWCG

I didn't know you could have a salt water pool and not have a SWCG...

I understand the advantage of having a SWCG, but I can't invest in that right now. The Mrs keeps saying she wants a salt water pool cause she wants the "softer" water...

Your thoughts???

I don't mind adding my 12oz or so of Chlorine to the pool everyday, but I am interested in softening my water if possible...

Please to throw me some advise
    Dennis in Central Indiana
    Pool owner for 4 seasons. 18 x 52 (7000 gallons) Intex Metal Frame pool. Hayward S210T93S Sand Filter and Pump (1 1/2 HP) w/ in wall skimmer. Taylor K2006 test kit w/speed stir.
    What is TFPC? Pool School Chlorine/CYA Chart Pool Math Recommended Test Kits

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt water without a SWCG

Adding salt does not really soften the water. It does closer match thr salinity in your eyes and changes the feel some.

Get your water tested for salt (you could already be 1000+ ppm) and raise it up to about 2000ppm.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

My SWCG broke for the last time years ago I call it the $1,000 thermometer . But I do keep salt in the pool at about 2500 the water feels better with salt. if the pool has all the correct percentages of chemicals my eyes are fine. The SWCG are great when working the cells last about 3 to 5 years and need to be replaced that cost alone will buy a lot of chlorine.
    In ground 20,000gal - pebble-tec - salt, Intelliflo pump, Sta-Rite filter 450 sq ft ,Hayward 6060 booster pump, non functioning Aqua Rite SWCG, TF 100 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

When using liquid chlorine you are introducing salt all the time
    I was surprised at how high my salt was without adding it
    Check your salt content before adding any more or just rely on your liquid chlorine to raise it

10,000 gallons inground Leisure fibreglass pool, Hayward powerline pump, Quality120 glass media filter, 27kw output air source heat pump and thermal cover.
    Retractable cover with Polycarbonate roof and glass side for all year round use. K-2006C test kit and Speed stir