Completely Frustrated ANd going broke!!!!

Jul 7, 2014
Plainfield,NJ
Guys please explain to me the theory of what is going on here. So far I have with out exaggeration spent roughly 200.00 and roughly 40 bottles later I cant get this pool to hold any chlorine. Night before my reading were FC - 0, CC - .3, PH - 7.2, Total Alkalinity - 90, CA - 110, CYA 30. Using Taylor Test kit k2006c

I add Bleach to Shock levels but it takes and extreme amount (3 Bottles of Bleach) and I got to shock levels after I tested halve hr. after addition. This morning There is 0 Free chlorine and CYA is 30. Go to get more bleach add it in to do the shock process one more time ( more like my 13th time) brought up to levels. I tested 3 hrs later before the sun went down and I can only get a reading of 1.6? Why Cant I get this pool balanced out. How much bleach to I need to add to this pool and how long has it taken some of you guys to get it right. Water is clear. Pool running all 24hrs.

I did some research and added some D.E. as per the intructions on trouble free pool to see if this helps clear out any unseen algae?. I'm almost at the end of possibly being able to buy more bleach I'm going for broke here. Never had so much headache with my previous Salt Water System on my old setup.

Any suggestions?

Also how many on this forum are using periostaic pump systems in their pools to maintain Chlorine in their pools.

How much Chlorine do you loose if you do an overnight test? Night to morning with no sunlight on the pool? That will tell you if something is eating up the chlorine other than sunlight

Guys please explain to me the theory of what is going on here. So far I have with out exaggeration spent roughly 200.00 and roughly 40 bottles later I cant get this pool to hold any chlorine. Night before my reading were FC - 0, CC - .3, PH - 7.2, Total Alkalinity - 90, CA - 110, CYA 30. Using Taylor Test kit k2006c

I add Bleach to Shock levels but it takes and extreme amount (3 Bottles of Bleach) and I got to shock levels after I tested halve hr. after addition. This morning There is 0 Free chlorine and CYA is 30. Go to get more bleach add it in to do the shock process one more time ( more like my 13th time) brought up to levels. I tested 3 hrs later before the sun went down and I can only get a reading of 1.6? Why Cant I get this pool balanced out. How much bleach to I need to add to this pool and how long has it taken some of you guys to get it right. Water is clear. Pool running all 24hrs.

I did some research and added some D.E. as per the intructions on trouble free pool to see if this helps clear out any unseen algae?. I'm almost at the end of possibly being able to buy more bleach I'm going for broke here. Never had so much headache with my previous Salt Water System on my old setup.

Any suggestions?

Also how many on this forum are using periostaic pump systems in their pools to maintain Chlorine in their pools.
I think everyone will agree we need to know more. Pool type, gallons, history, what bleach specifically are you using ( a picture of the label would be good) is there organic material in the pool, are the testing agents in the kit fresh enough.

I think everyone will agree we need to know more. Pool type, gallons, history, what bleach specifically are you using ( a picture of the label would be good) is there organic material in the pool, are the testing agents in the kit fresh enough.

Pool is a Vinyl Above Ground 24 x 52 with 15200 gallons of water according to the Calculations on Pool Math. I thought it was 15400. Its a new setup. Only set up about a 2 month Now. I came from an Intex 20 X 42 Steel Frame pool with a Salt Water Generator. The Bleach I'm using is Plain CLOROX from Home depot. (Cheapest Price So far) As far as the Agents ill check for Dates? Do they have any under the bottle? As far as Organics pool is kept clean by my Rover and the water is Clear. Ill take a Picture of the Clorox Bottom.

Pool is a Vinyl Above Ground 24 x 52 with 15200 gallons of water according to the Calculations on Pool Math. I thought it was 15400. Its a new setup. Only set up about a 2 month Now. I came from an Intex 20 X 42 Steel Frame pool with a Salt Water Generator. The Bleach I'm using is Plain CLOROX from Home depot. (Cheapest Price So far) As far as the Agents ill check for Dates? Do they have any under the bottle? As far as Organics pool is kept clean by my Rover and the water is Clear. Ill take a Picture of the Clorox Bottom.
I'm not familiar with any of the cleaning robots so excuse me if I don't understand correctly when I ask if there's any chance there is organic matter in the robot or is the robot causing you to lose water or anything.
I have essentially the same pool. 24 round by 52" deep. I just drained almost all the water and refilled Saturday. I'm in the process of uploading a video to YouTube under my name Cody Taber. The video shows a full round of testing with K-2006 kit as I know how. It'll probably be over an hour before it's done uploading and processing. I have a bunch of other videos uploaded that I need to put in order and shuffle around. Disregard those.
The audio may even be too low.
Not sure if mentioning my videos is allowed here. Sorry if it's not.
I too went with 15200 and have only added three gallons since testing, four pounds of dry stabilizer, small amount of muriatic acid (make sure it's pure, not green) and four pounds of baking soda.
So far so good.
I'll review your case again and see what I can add.

Expiration dates should be on bottles.
Is it possible your bleach is old. I buy from a grocery store which has big turnover.
Home Depot may not have a big turn over or may be stored in the sun or maybe you have yours in the sun? I don't know how long it survives in the bottle in the sun.
Any water loss?
I prefer to start with everything out of the pool. I took the molded plastic stairs out and removed the vacuum hose from floating in the pool. I'd remove the robot too.

Expiration dates should be on bottles.
Is it possible your bleach is old. I buy from a grocery store which has big turnover.
Home Depot may not have a big turn over or may be stored in the sun or maybe you have yours in the sun? I don't know how long it survives in the bottle in the sun.
Any water loss?
I prefer to start with everything out of the pool. I took the molded plastic stairs out and removed the vacuum hose from floating in the pool. I'd remove the robot too.
Sounds like a plan. I took The Pool Vacuum out the water. The Stairs are bolted in so that I cant do. While I was out there I took a new reading. these are my results

FC - 3.5ppm
CC - .5ppm
PH - 7.2ppm
CYA - 30? The bubble never really disappears but I get to 30 it is a bit hazy though.

- - - Updated - - -

Pump is running 24hrs. Lets see what the morning Brings.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not sure there is enough light to accurately do the CYA test right now. What you described would be something less than 30, maybe 20?
I agree with the other person replying. Not enough CYA. Did you ever add any?
When we first got our pool just over a year ago I didn't understand the importance if CYA or stabilizer as it's called on the shelf. I had the same issue; put bleach in, test great, a couple hours later in July sun, no chlorine. Add more, burn money.
I was following the BBB Method as described on YouTube by the guy who has the most popular pool channel. That Bleach, Baking Soda, Borax and I think he mentions Muriatic Acid but he never shows adding Cyuneric Acid and only very briefly mentioned stabilizer. I didn't know CYA was stabilizer at the time. And since he didn't add it either did I.
So if the black dot is just a little cloudy at 30 which is the top of the test tube then I'd say you have zero.
I purchased the four pound bottle of powdered stabilizer from Walmart and it was Clorox brand. I put it in a filter sock and hung it near the return jet yesterday. It saturated with water and seemed to not be dissolving much at all so I gave it a squeeze every now and then and it all finally ended up in the pool.
The first time I filled the pool I just broadcast it over the water and it quickly sunk to the floor.

I haven't read every reply but just reading $200, 40 bottles of bleach, running the pump 24hrs. I had a problem with my pool not holding chlorine just to many trips to the pool store then I found TFP and started reading about slamming a pool how to take care of a pool. Then during that time a retired water engineer (assume he worked of a water agency) bought some CL stuff from me, his advice drain the pool and start over. So I drained about 2/3 of the water and started following TFP my pool never looked better cost is way down compared to pool stores. I've had to do a couple Slams or elevate the chlorine for a couple days after large parties but nothing drastic. So maybe you at that point and need a fresh start. Water cost average is $2 per 1000 gal. I also only buy chlorine from a local pool store, it's a higher percentage and always fresh.

OP said 3 gallons brings his pool to shock level. Now Im not sure what his shock level number is, but the calculator says 12. If his chlorine is getting it to shock level it must be of some strength. To educate the OP and myself, If the chlorine has lost some potency, does it get used up in the pool faster? That does not make sense to me. I can understand it taking more chlorine since it is weaker than new, but shouldn't it hold the same PPM unless there is something utilizing it? Does this make sense?

Well guys these are my results from this morning test after last night add of Chlorine bleach.

FC - 2.3
CC - .4
PH - 7.2
CYA - again 30 - bubble doesn't even disappear. Slight haze

Now this is what I found that has me intrigued. The Pool Bottom is super clean the walls don't feel slimy but I decided to jump on the ladder before stepping away for the day and I noticed something big time. There is a bunch of debris and algae collected behind the Stairs and under it. seems the pool cleaner cant get to it. Since the stairs are attached to the Rim of the pool and it had this Plastic Block for kids not to get under its all nasty under the there. I did lose some Chlorine (3.5ppm to 2.3ppm) and that was at 7AM this morning. Lets see what the summer sun brings. Probably back to zero by days end. As far as CYA, I'm going to try to increase this today and try to get it to at least 40 or 50 with some Clorox Stabilizer that ill pick up after. And ill get in this afternoon ad brush that whole area.

Could this little patch of Green be eating all that chlorine?

Second - I can get my hands on Concentrated Clorox Bleach. Is that the same or should I stick to the regular kind..

Thanks again for all of you that have chimes in to help. I appreciate it.

Second - I can get my hands on Concentrated Clorox Bleach. Is that the same or should I stick to the regular kind..
I'd suggest looking at Walmart, they typically have 10% liquid bleach on the shelf for $3.65, or a two pack for a little over $6. Confirm date on the package, you should see a 17 (the year) followed by three digits (number of day in the year it was produced), should be within 60-90 days. Clorox can do in a pinch, but liquid chlorine has a higher concentration.

I'd suggest looking at Walmart, they typically have 10% liquid bleach on the shelf for $3.65, or a two pack for a little over $6. Confirm date on the package, you should see a 17 (the year) followed by three digits (number of day in the year it was produced), should be within 60-90 days. Clorox can do in a pinch, but liquid chlorine has a higher concentration.

I saw a higher concentrated pool chlorine at lowes that was at 10% hypochlorite. its from Pool Essentals? Can I use this.Pool Chlorine4.jpg

Last edited:
I saw a higher concentrated pool chlorine at lowes that was at 10% hypochlorite. its from Pool Essentals? Can I use this.View attachment 65990
I used that chlorine from Lowe's right before I decided to just drain and start over.
One bottle was dark colored another was much less dark colored. It's a guess what I was getting.
I believe in the value of a source with a big turnover.
It's Sodium Hypochlorite you're looking for on the clorox or other bleach.
The only way to advise you properly would be show us a picture of a label and we can tell you what it means.
Yes, the junk behind the pool is a major issue. No CYA is tied for first place issue.
Get anything out of the pool that you can. That way there's no mystery.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.