Just added absorbic acid

GZelano

LifeTime Supporter
May 16, 2008
Hockessin, Delaware
O.K. i have the same problem and i tried the vitamin c tab and the stain lifted. I just added 1lb. of absorbic acid and some algecide. My question is it o.k. to run the salt generator as the filter runs now or should i turn the generator off? Post says to minimally add chlorine so should i do this manually or run the generator ?

You "just added".... did you add the Polyquat 60? The instruction say to first add sequesterant, then wait 24 hours, and then start with PH/TA first.

So if you haven't added sequesterant and PQ60, you may have some problems ahead...

I added jacks magic purple stuff about 3 Days before. Then i added the algaecide (not polyquat, couldn't find here) Chlorine is close to if not zero.I added 2 pounds of ascorbic acid last night(about 12 hours ago) and the stains are still there this morning. PH is around 7-7.2, chlorine is Zero. Should i add more acid or just wait, so far it looks no different.

add another bottle of sequesteant and then drop the pH to 7.0. i would suggest the Blue or Pink stuff and not the Purple stuff since you are dealing with stains and not calcium.
What kind of algaecide did you add? If it is copper based you just put more metal in the water!

waterbear,

will metals always be an issue for people who have had bad staining? Will we forever be bound to jacks blue? Being a new pool owner who is converting to BBB. I find it very disheartening to feel like I will be battleing metals forever. Please give me hope! Is it only people who have SWG who have this problem?

In answer to your question, will metals ALWAYS be a problem, I can share some of my experience from the last two years.
I inherited a metals problem last year when my heat exchanger broke, filling my water with copper and iron.

After doing my third vitamin-c treatment, I feel like I finally have a handle on it. Pool looks great after 6 weeks, still.
The key is to be very diligent about following the entire ascorbic acid procedure.

Keep chlorine close to 0 for a few days, PH down to 7.0 or so..Polyquat to keep algae away, Bring chlorine up gradually, and continually use a good sequestrant like Super Sequasol. I was adding 2-4 ounces of sequestrant a day for the first two weeks. I'm down to using just 4oz a week now, and for the most part the stains are gone. Still some staining in the very deep bottom of the pool around the corners, but hardly noticable.

Also, we had the privilege of lots of rain here in Denver this summer, so hopefully it is helping with the dilution of the metals in the pool.

I added HTH Algae Guard. Active ingredients n-Alkyl 9.96%, n-dialkyl .04%, other ingredients 90%. I have no idea what any of this means. Does anybody have any recommendations for algaecide or sequestering agent that i can purchase at my local Leslies store for now, as they are the only pool supply store in town? I have already added the ascorbic acid and don't want to order the other chemicals by mail and wait a week for them to get here.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My leslies only carries their own products, you have to order the jacks magic. Since i am involved in this ascorbic acid process, i didn't want to wait a week for mail order to get here. Wasn't sure if anybody knew of a sequestering agent leslies has that might work. if i do order, do i want the pink or the blue stuff, i used a bunch of the purple stuff but obviously i bought the wrong stuff. Also, i assume it is safe to swim in with the currnet levels of ph and chlorine. Pool is crystal clear and i cant keep the kids out !!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.