Umbrella holder in Outdoor BBQ Island countertop

dw886

Gold Supporter
Sep 19, 2016
ND
We're finally getting to the point of landscaping and finishing up our outdoor living space. We have an outdoor BBQ island / kitchen setup, and I'd like to build in an umbrella holder into the seating portion of the granite. I'm trying to find out answers to a few questions:
1.) Is there a standard size for outdoor umbrella poles?
2.) When these are done in a countertop, is a sleeve normally used?
3.) If the normal method is just creating a hole that's a certain size, what is done towards to the bottom to stabilize the umbrella? This underside would be deep into the bowels of the outdoor BBQ island, so I can't fit a traditional umbrella base. On the flip side, the island itself is all constructed of 18ga steel studs / track, and it's bolted down to the concrete, so if I can find a way to secure it to the island that would work.

Does anyone have any experience with building these into the countertop?

I THINK most umbrella poles are the same size. To make sure go down to Lowes and other stores and measure the ones you might want to buy.

As for making it stable in the top you can make a sleeve out of PVC if needed.

Kim:kim:

They sell standard sleeves for deck install, but they are designed for concrete to support them. In order to make yours stable I think a length of pvc carefully clamped and otherwise securely fastened in place will be needed.

I'll measure mine and post back.

Update. I just measured mine and my big pool umbrellas have a pole diameter that is just over 1.5 inches. My guess is it's 40mm. I found an online diagram that look like the ones in my deck. According to the diagram they are the same diameter as 1.5 inch schedule 40 pipe, which makes on sense. I suggest you go to a home improvement store and compare umbrella pole to pvc to be sure.

So, great advice here as always - I ended up shimming the wall slightly, cutting a 2-3/8" hole in the top of the wall, and then at the very bottom of the wall, I strapped a 24" long piece of 2" PVC to the wall using pipe straps. The granite has a 2" hole in the top, which aligns nearly perfectly with my 2" PVC pipe that's in the bottom, which should hold the base of the umbrella from moving. Now the only thing that I need is an umbrella - I'll have to be careful not to get anything that has a crank or anything on the pole that would prevent it from going down 42" into my countertop, but as for the engineering portion of this project, it seems complete.

Does it need to go the full 42" to reach the lower sleeve. If it just goes in far enough to be in the sleeve, even if not at the bottom it should be stable. I say this because I have a friend with a similar situation and He drilled a hole through the umbrella pole and put a pin through at the level he wanted it to go into his counter. It allows for the crank to work above the counter. Just a thought.

Does it need to go the full 42" to reach the lower sleeve. If it just goes in far enough to be in the sleeve, even if not at the bottom it should be stable. I say this because I have a friend with a similar situation and He drilled a hole through the umbrella pole and put a pin through at the level he wanted it to go into his counter. It allows for the crank to work above the counter. Just a thought.
Another good thought! I'll have to give this a look. My issue is that by the time that I get an umbrella, this is going to be buried in the bowels of the island, and I'll have to hire my 4-year-old to crawl through there to get to it, and he's not so great with the drill yet. ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

Here's two pictures of what this looks like:

WP_20170803_12_03_54_Pro.jpgWP_20170803_12_04_10_Pro.jpg
SWEET! Pics please!

Kim:kim:

The modification can be to the umbrella itself. Just drill a hole in the umbrella's pole and pin it to keep it from going down all the way down to the bottom.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.