Finishing IG pool install. Filling with water, Chemicals?

Jul 11, 2009
North Alabama
My first post! and my first pool!

I have been doing DIY IG pool install with the guidance (and fortunately he has done a LOT of the work!!) of a friend that is a pool installer foreman. He says he builds them, but not great with chemicals. The pool is plumbed and the liner is in place but pump and filter is NOT hooked up just yet. Anyway, we are filling the pool now so we can backfill behind the walls with the weight of the water pushing out on the walls. Should I put in ANY chemicals at all yet? It could be several days before the process is complete and pump and filter hooked up. It will take 2 more days probably to fill it up with the garden hoses. It is perfectly clear now, but I dont want to have to start out fighting green water or anything...
Any suggestions? I am highly interested in the BBB method. If it ends up being too much trouble we may convert to a swg next year.

Further, if we dont need to add chems until later, then how do you suggest doing the intial dosing of chemicals?

By the way, its an 18x36 with 8foot deep end, hayward color logic LED light, and swimout in the deep end and 6 polaris deck jet fountains. We are so excited that our first pool is almost done!

Congrats on your new pool.

You need to order your own test kit, there is an article in Pool School that compares the two kits we recommend.

Once you have your kit, you can test your tap water, and that will tell you what chems your water will need to get balanced. I highly recommend the TF100, I have one, as do alot of other members, so you'll get firsthand advice on using it, answering your testing questions, etc.

For sure you'll need bleach and Cyanuric Acid/Stabilizer.

You'll need to learn how to use the Pool Calculator, as it will tell you exactly how much of each product to add. There is an article in Pool School that teaches you how to use it.

So off to Pool School, pretty much everything is explained there.... and then if you still have questions after reading it, post back and we'll get you squared away.

You really can't add anything without a way to circulate the water, so it's best to have the pump running before the water goes in, so you can begin to treat things.

Good luck, hope the next few days go smoothly. :goodjob:

Thanks for the info. The part about not adding chems without circulation was what I was REALLy needing to know immediately. I have read a pretty good bit on here, and have also listened to many confusing statements by pool owners I know that often conflict with information on here. Anyway, I havent read much about brand new pools and whether to add chems while filling. So would you say when we get everything hooked up that the ph is most important to watch as I bring up the FC and the CYA stabilizer levels?

Another thing, is I have heard a lot from my friend the installer about the proteam chems (which I understand is just brand name for the same ole stuff) but it got me interested in the Supreme which if I understand right, is just high concentrated borax and its supposed to be kept at relatively high levels in the pool and it wil lsupposedly help keep the water easier to maintain. Is there any real proven advantage to this that other pool owners on this forum have proven from using it or just regular mule team borax?

Yes, as you are filling start with PH and TA first.

If PH is high, add Muratic Acid
If PH is low and TA is fine, add Borax
IF PH and TA is low, you can use Soda Ash, or a combination of Borax and Baking Soda
If TA is low and PH is fine, you can add Baking Soda

It helps to test your tap water first so you know what, if any, you need to have on hand at startup.

Then you start adding bleach and CYA (wait an hour after adding other chems).

RB gave you the info on Borates. :goodjob:

landonp,

I would suggest you start putting chlorine in your pool immediately. Regardless of your other test results, lack of chlorine will result in a green swamp if you go without it (chlorine) for a long period of time.

Figure out a way to distribute it evenly in your pool until you can get the pump running. A portable submersible pump is one idea. simply stirring it in with a boat paddle is another. One small jug of Clorox will be close enough to the correct dosage for now.

Put it in each evening after the direct sun is off the pool. It will disappear the next day so you will need to do this continually (once each evening) until you get your pump running and the water full and start balancing the rest of yuour waqter parameters.

Your own test kit will pay for itself the very first season. Strongly encourage you to do that and to read the basic articles on pool water chemistry up in Pool School. Thjat'll get you off to a good start.

Welcome to the forum. :-D

this is my first post and its super old from last year, but do want to say, I did try the submersible pump to disperse the chemicals, and it started great and almost ended in a disaster. The hose popped out and pumped most of the water out of the pool and into the footer before I even realized it, floating the liner and ultimately causing some wrinkles in the liner and minor damage to the poolcrete floor. :-O SO if anyone reads this accidentially in the future from a google search or something, BE CAREFUL AND DONT BE STUPID LIKE ME!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.