Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Long term fiberglass people?

1. Back To Top    #1

Long term fiberglass people?

My wife and I are looking at installing a pool in our new home. Doing research seems to show that FG pools are easier to maintain, use less chemicals, and are easier on the feet. We like the thought of this but we cannot seem to find information on people who have had a FG pool for more than 2-3 years. I have seen loads of issues getting them installed, which concerns me as well.

Is there anyone here who has had their FG pool for 5+ years and have any thoughts on it? Should we go FG? Should we go gunite instead?

We live in North Richland Hills, TX. Soil is not rocky like I see a lot of Austin install people talking about.

Most of the FG information I can find online is from the manufacturers and of course they're only going to talk about the pro's vs Gunite. Looking for actual owners opinions! Hopefully this is the right spot to ask.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Long term fiberglass people?

I've had mine for 11 years. No issues. I do like the feel of it over gunite and vinyl. As with any pool install is important. But I would certainly recommend FG. Mine is the base white color. It seems that different areas have pool installers that specialize in different types of pools. I would make sure that you are comfortable that your area has enough installers who do FG.
    6000 gal inground fiberglass
    1.5hp pump / sand filter
    Liquidator

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by kduff85 View Post
    ..... Doing research seems to show that FG pools are easier to maintain, use less chemicals, and are easier on the feet.
    None of that is true...except maybe the easier on the feet part.

All pools, no matter the surface type, need regular maintenance and chemical management. There is nothing inherent to the pool surface that changes the basic underlying chemistry of water sanitation or saturation balance. You can just as easily run out of chlorine in an FG pool as you can in vinyl or plaster and you can just easily scale out calcium onto an FG surface and ruin it. Websites that promote the notion that FG is "easier to maintain" are usually expressing those opinions from a biased point of view.

With that said, there is nothing wrong with FG as a surface choice and many FG owners love their FG pools. If you follow the pool care method TFP teaches here, then you can have an excellent pool.

Good luck finding an installer.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks! Yes all the information I seem to find on "FG pools are easier to maintain and cost less chemicals" are from the manufacturers websites or sources. So that is why I came here to see what is true and what isn't from unbiased people!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by keithw View Post
    I've had mine for 11 years. No issues. I do like the feel of it over gunite and vinyl. As with any pool install is important. But I would certainly recommend FG. Mine is the base white color. It seems that different areas have pool installers that specialize in different types of pools. I would make sure that you are comfortable that your area has enough installers who do FG.
    11 years! Awesome. Have you had to refinish the surface? And I have definitely heard a FG pool is only as good as the installer!

5. Back To Top    #5

About five years and it's been perfect

14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

6. Back To Top    #6

No I haven't had to resurface it, the pool surface looks just like it did when I installed it. Two suggestions I would make if you are going to do FG is do some form of cantilevered deck and then do a tile scumline. FG pools tend to look bathtub-ish with their wide coping IMO. But with cantilever decking and tile you would not know what kind of pool it is.
    1.5hp pump / sand filter
    Liquidator

7. Back To Top    #7

I've been doing the same research as you as I live in the Plano area near you - we visited Aqua Pools in Alvarado but we personally don't know any people with a fiberglass pool (appears DFW area is dominated by gunite). We are in the midst of our pool search and going through the same debate. There are a handful of posts on here related to fiberglass in our area if you do some searching - they may help.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by toofast View Post
    About five years and it's been perfect
    That's great to hear! Do you remember what brand/model you went with?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by keithw View Post
    No I haven't had to resurface it, the pool surface looks just like it did when I installed it. Two suggestions I would make if you are going to do FG is do some form of cantilevered deck and then do a tile scumline. FG pools tend to look bathtub-ish with their wide coping IMO. But with cantilever decking and tile you would not know what kind of pool it is.
    Thank you again for the info! I will make sure to add those to my list of features!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TPR View Post
    I've been doing the same research as you as I live in the Plano area near you - we visited Aqua Pools in Alvarado but we personally don't know any people with a fiberglass pool (appears DFW area is dominated by gunite). We are in the midst of our pool search and going through the same debate. There are a handful of posts on here related to fiberglass in our area if you do some searching - they may help.
    We were actually planning on going to Aqua Pools in Alvarado this Friday just to check it out. I prefer designs by Leisure pools but I am unsure how good that installer is for my area.
    DFW is definitely gunite dominated, we will talk to a couple of gunite PB as well to make sure we have all the info. I'll keep digging here as well to find out more!

9. Back To Top    #9

My Pool is a CPC model Marco. They were acquired by Viking a number of years ago.

Keithw's pool pics

New pool proj.Flagstoning around (and on) my fiberglass pool
    1.5hp pump / sand filter
    Liquidator

10. Back To Top    #10

I don't really remember when we went to fiberglass, but well over 10 years and probably 15 or more.
    Love that we choose fiberglass. At the time, the cost wasn't that much more over plaster. The fiberglass has held up very well over the years, I would definitely do it again.

Note that since this was NOT a new pool, the old plaster was removed, and fiberglass blown on top of gunite. I have no idea if that makes a difference in durability, just wanted to put it out there.

Also, I think I can worry less about adding chemicals that might damage the surface of the pool. I still try to be careful, but I would worry about it more if I had plaster.

Randy
    25,000 gal fiberglass pool, Raypak 200k BTU H200FDN gas heater, Pentair CCP520 520 sq ft Cart filter, Max-Flo VS2303VSP pump. iWave wireless remote,

seperate spa, with own pump, cartridge filter, Hayward H200FDN heater

11. Back To Top    #11

This is what I have..
    Home - Thursday Pools

14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover