New believer in conversion, I'm doing it!

Hey all,

I've finally had it with the baqua hassle and I'm converting as soon as I have all the supplies (test kit, chlorine, new filter).

I've read many of the posts and learned quite a bit and gained the courage I need to do this. My wife will be doing most of the chlorinating and testing because she's home during the day. After reading up on the posts, I think we can get it done in about 7 days.

We'll try to post as many pics as we can because I feel I owe it to this outstanding forum that has been created here. It's truly amazing.

One thing I'm concerned about is the green algae bloom I've got from the recent high temps and rainfall we've had. Will this affect the conversion?

You will have a higher chlorine demand but if you follow the conversion procedure you will also kill the algae. The only difference is that you will go through more chlorine and the process will take a bit longer (but not THAT much longer).

Greetings to a fellow Floridian!!

Glad to see that you are making the switch. I started my conversion yesterday and the great people of this forum have been most helpful and encouraging. If you are interested, you can check out my progress here.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
An extra bottle of the FAS/DPD reagent is not a bad idea. It's the item most frequently depleted during a conversion. the DPD powder amount seems to be adequate for most everyone.......be sure to use the small scoop part of the spoon....not the flat paddle handle.

FWIW, The most common refill item is CYA reagent. Since we/you know you don't have any CYA (yet) there is no need to test for it.

When your conversion is complete and you have added CYA, you should calculate your dosage carefully and should hit your mark with two tests. I think there's enough reagent in there to provide 7 tests and you should not have to test again but maybe once the rest of the swim season.

Check your PM's

Hi

That would be the R-0870 DPD Powder and the R-0871 FAS/DPD. You will definately go through lots of these, well not so much the powder , but I did because until I got the feel for my pool, I tested the chlorine everyday with it after my conversion. Now that I have learned what my pool water "likes" to keep it happy, I just test with it once a week. Good luck, you won't regret it!!

fortmyersmark said:
Hey waterbear,

I read one of your posts that mentioned sodium percarbonate. I like the idea that it shortens conversion time. Where can I get it?

I used sodium percarbonate for my conversion. I did end up having to use some bleach, but only about 12 bottles. So in my case it definitely made the conversion go faster. I think the sodium percarbonate eats up the Baquacil that's in the pool, but then there was still some left in the lines so I had to finish up with bleach because I was all out of the sodium percarbonate. If you do decide to use it, I would recommend buying more than you think you'll need, just in case.

Good luck with your conversion. I know you'll be so happy that you switched. My pool has never looked so good.

Thanks everyone (mickey4paws, pepsiholic, duraleigh), the sodium percarbonate route sounds good, and I plan on using chlorine from the pool store 'cause it's more concentrated.

I just wonder if there's a place where I can go and get the sodium percarbonate rather than getting it from a website.

The procedure for converting from Baquacil by using sodium percarbonate is in this PDF file. However, you can no longer order the Clearview OXYplus mentioned but can order sodium percarbonate from The Chemistry Store here for under $3 per pound.

I don't know if you can get sodium percarbonate in standard stores -- I doubt it.

If you want to use sodium percarbonate, read the directions that Chem Geek linked to again. They contain the answer to your question. Just keep in mind that the sodium percarbonate instructions don't quite finish the job. It is best, when you get to step 5 in those instructions, to switch to a bleach conversion (as described at Pool School) to finish things up. Also, keep in mind that while sodium percarbonate is normally faster, it usually ends up being more expensive that the bleach you would have used to do the same thing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.