New believer in conversion, I'm doing it!

Hey Y'all, I'm back.

My pool has been the most awesomest thing ever since I converted it :rockon: .

I recently bought a solar blanket on Sunday. I put it on, and two days later I got some algae growing. I dont know if their related, but I'll post some test readings in a little while.

My chlorine levels have been normal.

Total Chlorine 8 ppm
FC 8 ppm
pH 7.3
Alkalinity 55 ppm

These are my readings as of now. I just added enough chlorine to bring the FC up to 15.
I bought some "stop yellow" at the pool store because the guy said it would get rid of quicker. Is this true, or should I take it back and get my $10 back for more chlorine?

LQ=Liquid chlorine. I was trying to run your numbers through the pool calculator and its not adding up. Do you test yourself or do you take the water to a pool store? It would be very difficult to get a .5 reading for CYA. Do you know your pH? Also if your pool is 24 ft by the usual 4.5 deep it would be around 15200 gallons according to the pool calculator. That may be throwing the results off too! If you can run a fresh set of tests and post them and tell us what you are using to test with we should be able to give you better advice.

I have a 24ft round 52 wall and my gallons is 13,500.

It's a coincidence-not the solar cover. I leave my cover on all the time and never get algae.

Your CYA is .5 - that result isn't possible, the tubes stop at 20 or 30.....??? Did you ever test your CYA level after you added it following your conversion?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's possible the cover had algae or other organics that increased the chlorine demand significantly and had the chlorine level drop too low (relative to the CYA level) and the warmer water temperature would accelerate algae growth, but ultimately the algae was able to grow faster than chlorine could kill it because the FC/CYA ratio got too low. To prevent this in the future, if one is going to put on a cover that isn't known to be clean, one can either clean it first or raise the chlorine level in the pool before putting on the cover and then test more frequently until the chlorine usage rate stabilizes.

fortmyersmark said:
Why does the pool calculator show my shock level to be 18, and the CYA chart shows 24?
I'm not adding my voice here because I know the answer; in fact, I've often noticed that there's sometimes a discrepancy between the CYA chart and the Pool Calculator's suggested shock level. The latter seems to suggest a normal shock level of 30% (of CYA) whereas the former is roughly 40%. I'm sure chem geek and/or JasonLion can clear this up for both us. :)

fortmyersmark said:
Why does the pool calculator show my shock level to be 18, and the CYA chart shows 24?

Well, sometimes they agree to disagree: Re:pool Calculator shock level vs. CYA/Chlorine Chart shock level

JasonLion said:
Either one, they both work.

There are some subtile differences in algae kill rates, numerical rounding, and safety margins between the various sources. We haven't gotten around to working through all the details and developing a consensus of which set of levels is more "ideal" yet.

To add a personal note, the higher shock level should work a little faster.

Ben Powell's original Best Guess CYA chart has higher shock levels at low CYA and lower shock levels at high CYA compared to my Chlorine/CYA Chart. Ben's chart was based mostly on his personal observations and experience while I started with his data but made it consistent with chemical theory in terms of the active chlorine concentration. His min/max columns were more consistent to the FC/CYA ratio than the shock column. I also added new min levels for SWG pools and shock levels for yellow/mustard algae based on reports on the forums.

For minimum chlorine levels the prevention of algae is a fairly clear delineation with the upper limit mostly dependent on the maximum rate of algae growth limited by temperature and sunlight (assuming plentiful nutrients). The shock level, on the other hand, would just affect the rate of clearing of the pool so isn't such a clear cut delineation.

Richard

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.