New believer in conversion, I'm doing it!

Pitguy3, if you want to read about my conversion with sodium percarbonate, it's here:

starting-conversion-using-sodium-percarbonate-t12348.html

Thanks to the wonderful people in this forum, and especially Jason Lion, I had a successful conversion. In my case, I think using the sodium percarbonate and finishing with bleach seemed easier than if I had just used bleach alone, basing this one many posts I see where people had to use 80 or more jugs of bleach. I used 12 pounds of sodium percarbonate and about 12 jugs of bleach. But keep in mind that I had drained and refilled about 2/3 of my pool. I used Baquacil for about 5 years so I'm sure I had a lot of buildup in the lines though.

Well, I started adjusting PH yesterday, and this morning it was perfect to start, so I added my first dose of 10.5% chlorine (1 gal, 3 qts). The pictures are reversed in sequence, so the first is a minute after I added the dose, and the second is the before pic (includes the algae bloom).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This morning at 4:50 am, FC was at 4.
I see posts like this on the forum a lot. It is meaningless to those trying to help unless you post what the FC was after the last chlorine addition. The posts should read something like this.....
FC last night was 12ppm. This morning it was 4ppm for an overnight loss of 8ppm.

Not picking on you, FMP, just trying to make your posts more helpful to the responders so you can get your pool cleared quickly. :lol:

OK, I got ya. Well, I've been at work all day, but the wife says the fc has dropped only 1-3 ppm all day (meaning she's checking and adjusting every hour and that's what it's been dropping hourly). Also, we've been topping up to 15 ppm every hour after testing. 15 is the baseline I'm using. So if I've said that "the FC were 4", that means that they dropped 11 ppm since the last test an hour ago. I''l do better next time, I think, I hope, I wish...
The water is still cloudy white, but getting clearer.

OK, when my wife tested this morning at around 7:30 we had 8 ppm FC (down 7 from 15 ppm at 10:00 pm the night before.

During the day, she was getting 11 ppm or 12 ppm every hour after topping up to 15 ppm.

I topped it back up at about 9:20pm. We'll see what it is in the morning.

The water cleared up enough to see the bottom :party: , which exposed a good layer of dead algae from the bloom I had before I started. So I go out my vacuum brush and started vacuuming to the filter (cartridge). When I looked down at the outlet, I saw a cloud shooting out from the outlet pipe! It's going right thru the filter! Any suggestions?

I'm trying to put up good posts, if there's anything I'm missing in my posts, someone please let me know. Duraleigh gave me some good advice, and I hope that I followed it. :whip:

Anyway, we had 8.5 FC on the first test this morning. After that, we're getting 12 and 13 every hour after topping up to 15.

Water is still cloudy from when I stirred it up yesterday.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.