3 Prong or Twist Plug?

Welcome to TFP!!

Do the plug - you can do it yourself, it's easy :) All you need to do is connect the black wire to the brass screw, the white wire to the silver screw and the green wire to the green screw. Of course you need to know how to strip wire to do this, but it's still easy :wink:

Go put the twist plug on and start circulating the water - if you can't get the plug today or don't feel comfortable putting it on, you can always just run an extension cord to the pump for now :cool:

antipode said:
Thanks for the tips.

If a twist-type is required by code, why is Hayward selling me a blade-style plug?

I don't have the NEC code here with me but I do have our local requirements since I'm doing some new wiring. They follow the NEC 2005 and will be upgrading to NEC 2008.

Usually a twist-lock plug is required (When pump is located between 5' and 10 feet of the pool). It really (obviously) should not be installed closer than 5' but if the receptacle is 10' or more away from the pool, the pump can be direct wired (or a regular blade type plug can be used if I'm not mistaken. (such as an inground pool for example where the pump and power source for the pump may be quite a distance away from the pool). - Of course, a GFI Breaker is required as well.

It's my understanding that the twist lock is required within the 5' - 10" distance. For almost any above ground pool for example, a twist lock would usually be needed.

That being said, even if my power source was 25 feet away from my pool, I would still choose the twist lock plug if I was not wired direct. They are great. They don't work loose and "scortch" as stated above. I think they are a great idea and a great safety feature.

The rules vary from place to place and in different situations. The NEC code is clear about requiring either twist lock or hard wired for permanent installs, and many places follow NEC on this. Temporary installs don't require twist lock, but what is called permanent and what is called temporary varies quite a bit from place to place. And some places don't require following NEC code at all (though it is still a good idea in any case).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
JasonLion said:
The rules vary from place to place and in different situations. The NEC code is clear about requiring either twist lock or hard wired for permanent installs, and many places follow NEC on this. Temporary installs don't require twist lock, but what is called permanent and what is called temporary varies quite a bit from place to place. And some places don't require following NEC code at all (though it is still a good idea in any case).

In our area above ground pools of any type might be considered temporary. They are not considered a permanent part of your property like an in-ground and even have their own sales tax codes

I am facing this issue as well. Bought a new Hayward Matrix Superflo (1.5hp) pump for my Aboe Ground pool. Was thrown for a loop when I went to plug it in and it had a standard three prong plug, like an indoor lamp. My old pump used a twist lock so I wanted to swap the plugs from the old pump. Had two questions:

1. Are there any voltage considerations I need to look into? the pump is 120v and the standard plug is 120v. does swapping o the twist plug call anything into question.
2. Any guidance on where to buy a twist plug? Id assume I'd want it with a cord. I could take it from the old pump but might be better off with everything new.

Thanks in advance!

No No a thousand times NO

You don't take the cord off a piece of equipment and replace it with another one. The manufacturer put it there for a reason. Post a picture of your outlet. What is the breaker for this outlet. Or ake a picture of the outlet to HD or Lowes and have them matich up and tell you what it is for. I suspect its just 120 twist lock.

Yup, Gordon hit the nail on the head. All electrical products sold pass certification from Independant labs indicating they are built correctly to specific standards. Most people know this as UL listings, but there are other labs. Once you modify the product it looses its certification.

It may seem minor, or even insignificant, but should there be a fire/accident insurance companies can get very picky about little details like this.

The odd point here is that the Hayward owners manual says these pumps are only sold with hard wired option or 3 ft twist lock, and only the 3 ft twistlock is UL Listed. So I have to wonder if maybe this pump was bought online and built for the international market, etc.

Ike

p.s. what exact model do you have, looking it up again it looks like the Superflo is a Pentair not a Hayward pump

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.