Site Prep Question

hawkins3

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 9, 2009
Eastern NC
I was very excited because the installer called last night & said he can come Monday afternoon with the Bobcat to grade & level for our 24' x 52" pool. My first reaction was "Yay" ... but now I'm worried because we have not killed the existing grass with commercial grade Round-Up in the area as we had planned (we've had Bible School every night this week & it's been too late when we've gotten home). We were planning to spray with the Round-Up this morning as we marked the final location. Is it really necessary to use the Round-Up anyway if he's going to grade out & remove the existing grass. Is putting Pramitol 5PS granules on the sand in the prepped area enough to take care of any vegetation regrowth? Should we put the Pramitol on the graded dirt before the sand is placed? The grass in that area is part of our lawn & is a mix of well-established fescue & centipede (although not as much centipede in that area as the other parts of the lawn).

Did they tell you that you needed to do that? My guy just came in a dug everything as is. I got excited because I thought I was going to have a ton of sod to do with as I pleased, but alas... he said it would be unusable. He also never mentioned putting anything else down on the soil, just the big ole pile of sand that was there for the installation, which the installers made quick work of.

I think that the installer would handle all of that stuff. Best to ask them.

Pramitol is some strong stuff and will pretty much retard and eliminate anything short of mesquite. The problem with Pramitol is that is can also kill nearby shrubs, grasses, and trees that are well away from the treated area simply by runoff and dripline contamination. In order for it to work like it is supposed to, it needs to be watered in and you need to control where any runoff goes.

You can also throw a layer of very heavy duty landscaping fabric down over the dirt before the sand. We did with all of our pools over the years and never had anything grow through.

Thanks so much to everyone for their responses. We put down a lot of Pramatol on the bare dirt after the grading was complete. Hope I'm not jinxing it, but I feel fairly confident that will take care of it! This is a great forum with some of the most helpful members I've ever had the privilege of "meeting."

Don't worry, I'll be back ... in fact, I may be composing another question-filled message later today regarding new pool start-up!

:cool:

We are facing the same dilemma with removing the grass this weekend. I have read several posts on this site where using chemicals under the liner was not a good idea because of possible degradation of the liner itself because of out-gassing, fumes, etc.

We have started looking at the different underlayments for the pool bottom. I priced out the weed proof material at Lowes…and to do our pool will cost almost as much as the Gorilla pad. Gorilla is one… Anyone have an opinion on which is best…or what to stay away from?

90% of the time grow thru of the liner comes from a plant next to the pool that is getting sun and then it branches of and grows under and through the liner. Keep at least a foot around the pool grass and weed free.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.