Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG and Above Ground Pools?

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG and Above Ground Pools?

We are considering a SWG for our (soon to be installed) above ground pool. Will the salt have a long term effect on the walls and framework of the pool? Everything appears to be galvanized...but concerned about the long term exposure. Thanks!

Travis
    Travis & Kathy
    16x32 AGP (extra return outlet installed), Pentair Dynamo Pump (1.5HP, 60+ GPM), Sta-Rite Crystal Flow Sand Filter (300 lb), Clear Diamond Solar Blanket & Reel, Pool-Skim
    Aqua Trol SWG (also controlling the pump), TF Test Kit. (Everything self installed, up and running on 08/02/09)
    Enjoying the TFP site and appreciating the infinite knowledge of it's members... and I'm slowly learning how to maintain our new pool the BBB way!
    Four Winds Spa (love the tub...hate the filtration system). Best water quality in four years using the BBB method

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG and Above Ground Pools?

make sure that metal parts in contact with water (like skimmer box screws) are made of decent quality stainless steel

3. Back To Top    #3

The skimmer screws "appear" to be stainless...I also checked them with a magnet... Should I have any worries about all the metal framework, etc?

Thanks!
    Travis & Kathy
    16x32 AGP (extra return outlet installed), Pentair Dynamo Pump (1.5HP, 60+ GPM), Sta-Rite Crystal Flow Sand Filter (300 lb), Clear Diamond Solar Blanket & Reel, Pool-Skim
    Aqua Trol SWG (also controlling the pump), TF Test Kit. (Everything self installed, up and running on 08/02/09)
    Enjoying the TFP site and appreciating the infinite knowledge of it's members... and I'm slowly learning how to maintain our new pool the BBB way!
    Four Winds Spa (love the tub...hate the filtration system). Best water quality in four years using the BBB method

4. Back To Top    #4

No, the frame should be fine. There is a small chance of corrosion only if there is a leak that doesn't get fixed for a long time. That could cause salt to accumulate on the frame. Leaks are bad regardless, you should be keeping an eye out for them anyway, so there shouldn't be a problem.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks. Glad to know that general use will not create a long term problem. Once we establish the pool we will add a SWG. Thanks again!

FlyboyTR
    Travis & Kathy