Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Couple of questions about adding CYA

1. Back To Top    #1

Couple of questions about adding CYA

I put 6lbs of CYA hanging yesterday. Trying to get above that 30 number
    I've been running my pump on low 10-12 hrs. a day since turning on the SWG a few days ago and seems to be working out pretty well. FC staying at 4.5 with SWG at 5%

Questions:
    1. Should I change my pump run time??? CYA was dissolved this evening.
    2. Should I refrain from cleaning my cart filters. If so for how long???

Thanks
    Lynn

16x38 FG, 20,400G, 1HP/2sp Tristar pump, Hayward 425sq ft cart. filter, Pro Logic4, SWCG, 3 returns, 2 main drains, 1 skimmer, 4 Pentair deck jets, Hayward Phantom pressure cleaner/booster pump, TF-100 of course :-)orthofish-s-pool-build-finally-t13179.html

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Couple of questions about adding CYA

I think it's pretty clear in pool school what to do. pool-school/recommended_pool_chemicals
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

3. Back To Top    #3

You clean your cart filters when the pressure indicates it. Sometimes the gauge doesn't reflect it....you will notice a decrease in flow from the return.... on my pool, the heater will stop working when the filter is dirty, and the pressure gauge won't budge.

Is there a reason why you think you should clean the filter? I know you cleared up green water...have you cleaned it since then?

Since you did the hanging sock, you should be able to clean the filter without a problem. If the sock were in your skimmer, I would suggest waiting a few days before cleaning it.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks FPMom.
    My pressure has only gone up about 4-5 psi. I'm going to have quite a few folks in the pool tomorrow so thought I might go ahead and clean the filters. Maybe I'll just wait.
    Lynn

16x38 FG, 20,400G, 1HP/2sp Tristar pump, Hayward 425sq ft cart. filter, Pro Logic4, SWCG, 3 returns, 2 main drains, 1 skimmer, 4 Pentair deck jets, Hayward Phantom pressure cleaner/booster pump, TF-100 of course :-)orthofish-s-pool-build-finally-t13179.html

5. Back To Top    #5

Good plan, wait till they've come, ooohd and aaahhhdd and left.
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

6. Back To Top    #6

[quote="reebok"]I think it's pretty clear in pool school what to do. pool-school/recommended_pool_chemicals[/quote

[color=#FF4040 Ya know, being a first time pool owner and having read and learned a thousand things in the past 6 months, I must have forgotten that little tidbit of info.][/color]
    Lynn

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    Good plan, wait till they've come, ooohd and aaahhhdd and left.
    Yeah, this will be my first rather larger gathering. Looking forward to it
    Lynn

8. Back To Top    #8

whatever works. FPM's advice is different, but as waterbear says, it's a pool not a laboratory.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

9. Back To Top    #9

If a sock of CYA is hanging in front of a return, backwashing and/or cleaning a filter isn't as much of an issue if one were to put the sock in the skimmer, or pour directly thru the skimmer into the filter. In the latter two cases you shouldn't clean/backwash for a week. Since Lynn stated the sock was hanging, I see no reason to worry about it.