PSI question

hlemon

LifeTime Supporter
May 22, 2008
I am just hitting you guys right and left with the plumbing questions this week. :oops:

I have a 1.5 hp pump with 200 lb. sand filter. My pump doesn't have trouble keeping prime and I haven't noticed anything unusual...well, anything that I think is unusual.

I recently got a new psi gauge. The old one quit over the winter and I am just not getting around to replacing it. I would determine when I needed to backwash by watching my returns and looking for slugishness.

Anyway, the top of my pump has a sticker that says 15 psi on it. Does that mean that my pump should be running normally at 15? My new gauge only shows that its running about 12. Is that not enough suction? Is something wrong with my pump and I don't know it?

Thanks everyone!

Interesting. I'm not sure what that sticker could mean.

All numbers aside, I see no problem with your pressure reading as 12 p.s.i. if everything else seems to be working properly. If you have good water clarity and good circulation, you should be good to go. I really only look at my gauge when something seems wrong or different in the way my pool and its respective components are acting (cleaner not working, poor skimming, etc.) I do always make note of the pressure right after cleaning the filter cartridges but this is in order to determine later if the cartridges need cleaning and when.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.