Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need pump for Hayward EC40 filter (38gpm max)

1. Back To Top    #1

Need pump for Hayward EC40 filter (38gpm max)

I have hooked up a Hayward EC40 filter (price was right - FREE) to the original Intex pump/filter combo that came with my pool. I removed the cartridge from the Intex unit and plumbed the EC40 to the pump output using 1-1/2" PVC.

Right now it all works and is keeping the pool sparkly clean running on a 12 hour cycle , *but* I want to add a solar panel and I don't think this pump can move enough water to keep it all working

Now for my real problem...I can't seem to locate any pumps rated at 30gpm(80% of max) Does anyone know of such a pump or can I put some kind of flow restrictor in?

Thanks for your help, this forum is amazing!
    Mike
    18' x 48" Intex Metal Frame 6700g, Hayward DE filter, Hayward Power-Flo LX 40gpm, 2x 2x40 solar panels
    Re-plumbed with combo of 1-1/2" PVC and flex hoses
    TF-100 & BBB user (Thanks to TFP)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need pump for Hayward EC40 filter (38gpm max)

An Intex 2500 gallon per hour pump would be about right.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Need pump for Hayward EC40 filter (38gpm max)

I was kind of hoping to get away from the Intex pumps. Mine is really noisy, but maybe the 2500gph is better. I take it a flow restrictor of some sort is not a good idea?

Mike
    18' x 48" Intex Metal Frame 6700g, Hayward DE filter, Hayward Power-Flo LX 40gpm, 2x 2x40 solar panels
    Re-plumbed with combo of 1-1/2" PVC and flex hoses
    TF-100 & BBB user (Thanks to TFP)