AG Pool Cleaners

momof3

Jun 19, 2009
Kentucky
We just got our AG pool set up this wk and so far we are loving it..

I was wondering what kind of pool vacuum you use and if you like it.. My pool came with the basic manual pool cleaner but right now I can hardly see over the edge of the pool (no deck yet and i'm short) I want to purchase an automatic cleaner and was looking at the polaris but I don't know how well it works.. Basically I was hoping someone could tell me what they use and if they like it or not...

Thanks a bunch.. :mrgreen:

I manually vac mine but I'm not short! :mrgreen: I love vac'ing my pool myself. 8)

I manually vacuum, takes about 30 minutes including connect and disconnect for our 33' x' 15' oval pool. I can see where it might be challenging if you don't have a deck and have to do it from the outside by reaching over the rim.

Tizme, would you tell us a little about the Zippy? How/where does it connect and how is it propelled? Might you be able to post some photos?

It connects to the return of the pool by unscrewing the "eyeball" and screwing in the adapter to the socket then attaching the Zippy. There is a pressure adjustment at the end of the first little section of hose that regulates the speed that it moves around the pool.
Here is a link with a picture of it.

We used to have a Lil Shark and it was "ok", but I got tired of babysitting a cleaner to be sure it got all over, it got stuck at the corner of the stairs often as well, it clogged up my skimmer/pump basket (evern with the inline leaf basket) and could only be used when the pump was running, which meant never before I opened the pool.

We finally got a Pool Rover Jr last year and it's the best thing since the SWG for our pool. No pump needed, it filters the water, put it in and walk away for 3 hrs - come back to a clean pool. Remove it and done. Plus, I can use this at pool start up to get the silt and algae off the bottom before we top off to the skimmer. It filters down to 2 microns. LOVE it.

TizMe said:
It connects to the return of the pool by unscrewing the "eyeball" and screwing in the adapter to the socket then attaching the Zippy. There is a pressure adjustment at the end of the first little section of hose that regulates the speed that it moves around the pool.
Here is a link with a picture of it.

Looking at that picture I still don't get how it works. You attach one end of the hose to the return and the other end is attached to the Zippy? So water blows through the cleaner? How does it "clean"? Clearly I'm missing something here.

I have a Hayward "Wanda the Whale" which is pretty much the same as the Aquabug mentioned above. I have been really impressed with this little automatic vacuum! It does a great job, it was rather inexpensive (got mine brand new off of ebay for about $115) and honestly, the little kids and I get a kick out of watching her do her job! There were a couple "nice to know" things that I figured out the hard way when I first got her this spring. One is that an optional in-line leaf trap really isn't optional, its a must have for us at least. The trap collects tree debris into a canister before it gets into your filter system. It wasn't too expensive either (maybe $40?) and has been really nice to have. The other nice to know thing is that Wanda does her job easier if I turn the return jet eye so that it points downward while she is hooked up. Too much surface current from the return jet would "blow" Wanda's floating hose across the pool and trap her. Turning the jet down so that the top of the water stays calm allows her to move about the whole pool freely.

Hooking up Wanda for her "turn to swim" is kind of a nice way to end a day's swimming when we have friends over with preschool age children. More than once its turned toddler tears at getting out of the pool into curiosity over this plastic fish who needs her own turn in the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've been wanting to get Wanda but never have. It's nice to know she does a good job! :mrgreen:

Water blows through the line and out the bottom where there is 5 rubber squeegee like things that direct the water and debris to a whole in the center and the debris goes in that whole and is collected inside the head. The head is on rubber casters which allows it to move around the pool and the nozzle you see sticking out of the side is a jet that rotates and directs it to another area of the pool when it hits the side or ladder. I have been amazed at how much debris it will collect when its running.

Wanda Whale! Works GREAT for my small AG pool and because of the sloping sides I get the benefit of her 'climbing' almost 1/2 way up the sides. She's super quick to set up and get in the water. Only tip I have is I hold the hose over the RETURN (hang on to the hose and cone) to blow the air out of her at first and then drag the hose to the suction side (less than 2 feet) and she sets right up without adding too much air to the system (if I do it right!).

This year was the ONLY time in I've had any problems but was able to self diagnose, watch an ehow video in how to dismantle and repair, and except for having to buy a new pair of shoes for her POD feet she's been a GREAT time saver.

I used to like getting in to the pool to vacuum but now I just throw WANDA in and let her do her thing. The benefit, too, is it's quite hypnotic and calming to see her just 'turn left, left, left, left, left, then straight away, then right, right, right, right, right, another straight sway, then ... . Well, you get the picture. I probably waste as much time WATCHING her as I did when I manually vacuumed - except this is MUCH more fun and WAY easier!

good luck - let us know what you decide!

dpool

I just unpacked my Rover Jr and put her in the pool 20 minutes ago.

Being we both have a 18x33, can you tell me which setting works best and where do you place it to start?
Thanks

NWMNMom said:
We finally got a Pool Rover Jr last year and it's the best thing since the SWG for our pool. No pump needed, it filters the water, put it in and walk away for 3 hrs - come back to a clean pool. Remove it and done. Plus, I can use this at pool start up to get the silt and algae off the bottom before we top off to the skimmer. It filters down to 2 microns. LOVE it.

We just purchased an Aquabug, the yellow one sold off of ebay. She sure does scoot around the pool and seems to be picking up a lot of stuff. We've noticed that we need additional hose lengths, so I will be purchasing those today.

A suction side cleaner is a little bit of a hassle. We were trying to decide between the Aquabug and the Pool Rover Jr. We went with the bug just because we were unwilling to shell out so much money on a cleaner this year. If money were no object, I think I would have gone with the robot just because of its convenience and the fact that you don't lose skimmer time while running your pump.

kenshell said:
I just unpacked my Rover Jr and put her in the pool 20 minutes ago.

Being we both have a 18x33, can you tell me which setting works best and where do you place it to start?
Thanks

I like to start off on the dead center side of the pool, using the short circuit setting so that it makes short, repeated patterns close to each other - the long setting (on power supply box) seems to let it run from one end to the other of the pool and leave more gaps and it ends up spending time in "wait" mode when it goes from side to side then. Since the entire thing is 3 hr timed, I want that time spent actually cleaning rather than waiting to reverse. Did I mention I LOVE my Rover? I do I do.

Thanks.
I'm happy after the first cleaning already. :goodjob:

I like to start off on the dead center side of the pool, using the short circuit setting so that it makes short, repeated patterns close to each other - the long setting (on power supply box) seems to let it run from one end to the other of the pool and leave more gaps and it ends up spending time in "wait" mode when it goes from side to side then. Since the entire thing is 3 hr timed, I want that time spent actually cleaning rather than waiting to reverse. Did I mention I LOVE my Rover? I do I do.

momof3 said:
I got my new pool cleaner... It is a Patriot for above ground pools. I used it last night and the hose kinks where you plug it into the skimmer.. Any advise on how to prevent it from kinking??

You could try a vac plate with a 90 degree elbow on it. The plate sits on top of the skimmer basket.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.