Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AG Pool Cleaners

1. Back To Top    #1

AG Pool Cleaners

We just got our AG pool set up this wk and so far we are loving it..

I was wondering what kind of pool vacuum you use and if you like it.. My pool came with the basic manual pool cleaner but right now I can hardly see over the edge of the pool (no deck yet and i'm short) I want to purchase an automatic cleaner and was looking at the polaris but I don't know how well it works.. Basically I was hoping someone could tell me what they use and if they like it or not...

Thanks a bunch..
    1) 16500 gallons
    2) 150 lb sand filter
    3) 28' AG DoughBoy
    4) Vinyl
    5) 1.5 hp
    6) TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: AG Pool Cleaners

We use the Zippy by Barracuda for our pool and I love it. We had a Polaris and hated it to many moving parts and I was broken more than it was working !

This is our second year with the Zippy !
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I manually vac mine but I'm not short! I love vac'ing my pool myself. 8)
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

we have the kreepy krauly lil shark..works fine for a 27 ft abg..once in awhile will get stuck by the steps tho..but i like the easy maneuverability so i can use it when i'm in the pool & wanna clean up a few spots..hooks into the skimmer

5. Back To Top    #5

I manually vacuum, takes about 30 minutes including connect and disconnect for our 33' x' 15' oval pool. I can see where it might be challenging if you don't have a deck and have to do it from the outside by reaching over the rim.

Tizme, would you tell us a little about the Zippy? How/where does it connect and how is it propelled? Might you be able to post some photos?
    — AnnaK —

12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

6. Back To Top    #6

It connects to the return of the pool by unscrewing the "eyeball" and screwing in the adapter to the socket then attaching the Zippy. There is a pressure adjustment at the end of the first little section of hose that regulates the speed that it moves around the pool.
    Here is a link with a picture of it.
    Les
    Helpful Links:
    Doing BBB and loving it!

7. Back To Top    #7

We used to have a Lil Shark and it was "ok", but I got tired of babysitting a cleaner to be sure it got all over, it got stuck at the corner of the stairs often as well, it clogged up my skimmer/pump basket (evern with the inline leaf basket) and could only be used when the pump was running, which meant never before I opened the pool.

We finally got a Pool Rover Jr last year and it's the best thing since the SWG for our pool. No pump needed, it filters the water, put it in and walk away for 3 hrs - come back to a clean pool. Remove it and done. Plus, I can use this at pool start up to get the silt and algae off the bottom before we top off to the skimmer. It filters down to 2 microns. LOVE it.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by TizMe
    It connects to the return of the pool by unscrewing the "eyeball" and screwing in the adapter to the socket then attaching the Zippy. There is a pressure adjustment at the end of the first little section of hose that regulates the speed that it moves around the pool.
    Here is a link with a picture of it.

Looking at that picture I still don't get how it works. You attach one end of the hose to the return and the other end is attached to the Zippy? So water blows through the cleaner? How does it "clean"? Clearly I'm missing something here.
    — AnnaK —

12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

9. Back To Top    #9

I've had a Hayward Aquabug for approximately 10 years now & I love it. It's not too pricey, does a nice job in our 24' round, flat bottom pool. It works on the suction side & sucks everything in through the skimmer.
    12,900 Gal. 24' X 48" ABG Vinyl Round (17th Birthday)
    1HP Hayward Pump w/S180T Hayward Sand Filter
    AquaTrol RJ SWCG 2011 startup
    TFP Method since '09, TF100
    50ppm Borates, June '12

10. Back To Top    #10

I have a Hayward "Wanda the Whale" which is pretty much the same as the Aquabug mentioned above. I have been really impressed with this little automatic vacuum! It does a great job, it was rather inexpensive (got mine brand new off of ebay for about $115) and honestly, the little kids and I get a kick out of watching her do her job! There were a couple "nice to know" things that I figured out the hard way when I first got her this spring. One is that an optional in-line leaf trap really isn't optional, its a must have for us at least. The trap collects tree debris into a canister before it gets into your filter system. It wasn't too expensive either (maybe $40?) and has been really nice to have. The other nice to know thing is that Wanda does her job easier if I turn the return jet eye so that it points downward while she is hooked up. Too much surface current from the return jet would "blow" Wanda's floating hose across the pool and trap her. Turning the jet down so that the top of the water stays calm allows her to move about the whole pool freely.

Hooking up Wanda for her "turn to swim" is kind of a nice way to end a day's swimming when we have friends over with preschool age children. More than once its turned toddler tears at getting out of the pool into curiosity over this plastic fish who needs her own turn in the pool.
    Leanne
    Pool: 24' round by 48" deep AGP
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed pump, H100 Heater, sand filter, skimmer, using BBB (love it!)
    Hot tub: 2008 CalSpas, 8x8, 8 seats, 60+ jets, ozonator
    3 step bromine sanitation

11. Back To Top    #11

I've been wanting to get Wanda but never have. It's nice to know she does a good job!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

12. Back To Top    #12

I get in, and move slow, and vacuum manually. Very relaxing. I tried an automatic, a ladybug thing from my brother, the pool circulation just blew it around in a circle. Totally useless for me.
    steve

Above Ground / 18' Round / Vinyl Liner / Sand Filter / 100K Gas Heater / Salt Added / No Nature2

13. Back To Top    #13

Water blows through the line and out the bottom where there is 5 rubber squeegee like things that direct the water and debris to a whole in the center and the debris goes in that whole and is collected inside the head. The head is on rubber casters which allows it to move around the pool and the nozzle you see sticking out of the side is a jet that rotates and directs it to another area of the pool when it hits the side or ladder. I have been amazed at how much debris it will collect when its running.
    Les
    Helpful Links:
    Doing BBB and loving it!

14. Back To Top    #14

Wanda Whale! Works GREAT for my small AG pool and because of the sloping sides I get the benefit of her 'climbing' almost 1/2 way up the sides. She's super quick to set up and get in the water. Only tip I have is I hold the hose over the RETURN (hang on to the hose and cone) to blow the air out of her at first and then drag the hose to the suction side (less than 2 feet) and she sets right up without adding too much air to the system (if I do it right!).

This year was the ONLY time in I've had any problems but was able to self diagnose, watch an ehow video in how to dismantle and repair, and except for having to buy a new pair of shoes for her POD feet she's been a GREAT time saver.

I used to like getting in to the pool to vacuum but now I just throw WANDA in and let her do her thing. The benefit, too, is it's quite hypnotic and calming to see her just 'turn left, left, left, left, left, then straight away, then right, right, right, right, right, another straight sway, then ... . Well, you get the picture. I probably waste as much time WATCHING her as I did when I manually vacuumed - except this is MUCH more fun and WAY easier!

good luck - let us know what you decide!

dpool
    9x17 AG Vinyl "SPLASHER" w/outside struts (7/04), thru the wall skimmer & return, C900 Hayward Cartridge Filter (3/08), 1 hp Hayward Power-Flo II pump (4/09), Wanda Whale auto cleaner (3/07), new Wanda shoes (6/09), VinylWorks A Frame Step Ladder Entry System w/Gate (5/06), 5-1gal gravel-filled jugs hung w/ zip ties under steps to stop steps from floating, 1-3" TAB FLOAT under stairs (empty), More noodles, floats, and toys than allowed in any 9x17 sized pool!

15. Back To Top    #15

I just unpacked my Rover Jr and put her in the pool 20 minutes ago.

Being we both have a 18x33, can you tell me which setting works best and where do you place it to start?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NWMNMom

We finally got a Pool Rover Jr last year and it's the best thing since the SWG for our pool. No pump needed, it filters the water, put it in and walk away for 3 hrs - come back to a clean pool. Remove it and done. Plus, I can use this at pool start up to get the silt and algae off the bottom before we top off to the skimmer. It filters down to 2 microns. LOVE it.
    5100 gal Above Ground Intex Pool with cheap filter and pump
    TF-100 Test Kit

16. Back To Top    #16

We just purchased an Aquabug, the yellow one sold off of ebay. She sure does scoot around the pool and seems to be picking up a lot of stuff. We've noticed that we need additional hose lengths, so I will be purchasing those today.

A suction side cleaner is a little bit of a hassle. We were trying to decide between the Aquabug and the Pool Rover Jr. We went with the bug just because we were unwilling to shell out so much money on a cleaner this year. If money were no object, I think I would have gone with the robot just because of its convenience and the fact that you don't lose skimmer time while running your pump.
    26,000 gal liner IG pool
    Doughboy with concrete construction
    Full sun most of the day
    1.5 hp pump system
    200lb sand filter

17. Back To Top    #17

[quote="kenshell"]I just unpacked my Rover Jr and put her in the pool 20 minutes ago.

Being we both have a 18x33, can you tell me which setting works best and where do you place it to start?
    Thanks

I like to start off on the dead center side of the pool, using the short circuit setting so that it makes short, repeated patterns close to each other - the long setting (on power supply box) seems to let it run from one end to the other of the pool and leave more gaps and it ends up spending time in "wait" mode when it goes from side to side then. Since the entire thing is 3 hr timed, I want that time spent actually cleaning rather than waiting to reverse. Did I mention I LOVE my Rover? I do I do.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

18. Back To Top    #18

I got my new pool cleaner... It is a Patriot for above ground pools. I used it last night and the hose kinks where you plug it into the skimmer.. Any advise on how to prevent it from kinking??
    1) 16500 gallons
    2) 150 lb sand filter
    3) 28' AG DoughBoy
    4) Vinyl
    5) 1.5 hp
    6) TF-100

19. Back To Top    #19

Thanks.
    I'm happy after the first cleaning already.

I like to start off on the dead center side of the pool, using the short circuit setting so that it makes short, repeated patterns close to each other - the long setting (on power supply box) seems to let it run from one end to the other of the pool and leave more gaps and it ends up spending time in "wait" mode when it goes from side to side then. Since the entire thing is 3 hr timed, I want that time spent actually cleaning rather than waiting to reverse. Did I mention I LOVE my Rover? I do I do.
    5100 gal Above Ground Intex Pool with cheap filter and pump
    TF-100 Test Kit

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by momof3
    I got my new pool cleaner... It is a Patriot for above ground pools. I used it last night and the hose kinks where you plug it into the skimmer.. Any advise on how to prevent it from kinking??
    You could try a vac plate with a 90 degree elbow on it. The plate sits on top of the skimmer basket.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast