How do I lower my CYA

Rescue30

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 6, 2008
New Jersey
Pool water is great now except for a CYA level of 100, it is 33K gallons , can I top it off with fresh water till the top of of the pool . that would give me about 6-7 inches of fresh water , and then wait a couple of hours for it to circulate then pump out till bottom of skimmer and then refill, if I do that a few times will I eventually get the CYA level down ?? I don't want the watrer to drop to much and damage the liner ? THANKS

you have to replace water. how you do it is your choice, but you're going to have to do half of the water to get it down to 50. I manage mine at 70 if you would rather stop sooner. you just run a bit higher fc level per the chlorine/cya chart.

frustratedpoolmom said:
It's usually safe for most pools to drain down 1 foot, refill, retest, repeat if necessary.

Yep, that's probably the best way to go and it is how I did mine when my CH was through the roof. It takes more water that way but you don't have to worry about hurting things.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.