How Are Pipes Laid?

NullQwerty

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 23, 2008
Hey folks,

I'm trying to figure out the pipes in my in-ground pool. Due to a leak, I dug up right where my return line meets the pool (I've got 1 sq foot of dirt there. What I saw was a 1 1/2" black bendable line that connected into a much smaller black bendable line (not much thicker than a garden hose). This smaller line continued underground. So, I went and checked out what I got by the filter. By the filter, it's actually the smaller line *inside* of the 1 1/2" line. This goes underground.

Is this typical? What is happening underground? Is it the smaller line most of the way or is it in the larger line for the majority? Are there most likely more connections?

My only guess as to why this is happening is because they wanted to run the small line the whole way, but by the filter, they didn't want the small line to be exposed to the ground until it passed the frost line? Total guess though.

I ask because I'm trying to narrow down the exact location of the leak. If there are more connections, it could be at a connection. Otherwise it's a crack in the pipe. i also ask because I'll be redoing the lines myself this summer or next and just trying to learn as much as I can.

Thanks

Attachments

• poolpipes.jpg
    poolpipes.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 218
No, that isn't typical. It sounds like someone was using cheaper materials to save money and put the larger pipe around the smaller one to hide what they had done. Though, really there is no telling. People do all kinds of strange things sometimes.

Interesting. So then the standard is to use the 1 1/2" the whole way through and never to use the smaller line? Or is the smaller line also common but just done plumbed differently?

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.