Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aqua Rite not generating enough chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Aqua Rite not generating enough chlorine

I have a 5 year old Aqua Rite chlorine generator with a T-Cell-15. For the first 5 years it worked great. Now it seems to generate about half the chlorine it used to. Normally I set the output rate at 50% during the summer, but now I have it set to 100%, and it still can't keep the chlorine level at 3 ppm. Here are the particulars:

Pool size: 22,000 g
    Pump: 6 hrs/day
    Salt Level: 3300 ppm
    Temp: 80-85
    ph: 7.5
    TA: 80 ppm
    CA: 100 ppm
    Phosphates: 100 ppb
    Calcium hardness: 500 ppm
    TDS: 2500 ppm
    Nitrates: 0 ppm
    Nitrites: 0 ppm

I replaced the cell, but this didn't fix the problem. I took both the old and new cells to the pool store, and had them tested. Both tested OK. I can switch back and forth between the cells, but this has no effect. I've looked at the voltage and current readouts using the diagnostics button on the controller. They are both within the acceptable ranges.

I called Goldline. They recommended increasing the pump time from 6 hours to 8 hours, but I live in CA where a kw/h costs 50 cents, so I really don't want to do this. Besides, I've been using 6 hrs/day and 50% for 5 years. Some thing has changed.

I'm out of things to try. Any suggestions?
    22k gallon in ground pebbletec, 2 hp WhisperFlo pump, Aqualink RS-6, Aquarite SWG, DE

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Aqua Rite not generating enough chlorine

You may be fighting an algae bloom. Do an over night test of your chlorine loss: One night after sunset, turn off your filter for the night. Measure your FC. In the morning, before sun rise measure the FC again. If you have lost more than 1 ppm FC over night, you will need to shock the pool.
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.

3. Back To Top    #3

6 hours a day is a bit low for summer months, IMHO.
    Have you tested for ammonia?

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by dschlic1
    You may be fighting an algae bloom. Do an over night test of your chlorine loss: One night after sunset, turn off your filter for the night. Measure your FC. In the morning, before sun rise measure the FC again. If you have lost more than 1 ppm FC over night, you will need to shock the pool.
    Thanks for the quick response. I did the overnight FC test and had 0 chlorine loss. I also tested for CC, and as near as I can tell it's 0.
    22k gallon in ground pebbletec, 2 hp WhisperFlo pump, Aqualink RS-6, Aquarite SWG, DE

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    6 hours a day is a bit low for summer months, IMHO.
    Have you tested for ammonia?
    I tested for ammonia and got 0. I've been running 6 hours per day at an output rate of 50-60% for 5 summers now. I've never had a problem keeping chlorine in the pool until now. Something has changed, I just can't figure out what it is.

6. Back To Top    #6

It is very likely that dschlic1 is right and you have an mild algae problem. As dschlic1 said, you should do an overnight FC loss test and/or shock the pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by hsmyers
    Quote Originally Posted by dschlic1
    Thanks for the quick response. I did the overnight FC test and had 0 chlorine loss. I also tested for CC, and as near as I can tell it's 0.
    The SWG has to be off for an accurate test.... was the SWG off?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes, the pump was off during the test.

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Was the overnite test an FAS/DPD test that you performed or did the pool store do it?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Hi Dave,

It was a DPD test I did myself (I don't have FAS-DPD). I measured 2.5 ppm an hour after sunset, and the same 2.5 ppm just before sunrise. I know this test isn't as good as the FAS test, but my understanding is that as long as the morning measurement was above 1.5 ppm, I'm OK. To my eye the two measurements were identical.

11. Back To Top    #11

Any CYA in the pool ?
    14,500 inground gunite
    7' connected spa with overflow waterfall
    Goldline salt water chlorine generator
    Hayward 4 cartridge filter
    Hayward 400K heater
    Completed January 07

12. Back To Top    #12

I think the CA-100 up above was the CYA level?

Certainly looking like a problem with the unit... You could always try around of shocking with bleach to see if that helps anything.

If your CYA is 100, that's a bit high, we recommend 70-80.
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

13. Back To Top    #13

The CYA is about 100. I don't think it's the cell because I can switch back and forth between the new cell and the old cell and I get the same results.

At this point I'm planning on shocking because I don't know what else to try. According to the pool calculator, I need to raise the chlorine level to 25 ppm . That's 5 gallons of 10% chlorine in a 22000 gallon pool. Am I doing that right?

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by hsmyers
    The CYA is about 100.

At this point I'm planning on shocking because I don't know what else to try. According to the CYA/CL chart I need to raise the chlorine level to 25 ppm . That's 5 gallons of 10% chlorine in a 22000 gallon pool. Am I doing that right?
    Actually it's 39 ppm according to the chart. If your FC is zero, I get 8.3 gallons of 10%.

15. Back To Top    #15

Sorry. I was editing my post while you were replying. I was actually using the pool calculator rather than the CYA/CL chart. I used a current chlorine level of 3, and a desired level of 25 (25 is the shock level listed in the suggested FC level section). The calculator tells me I need to add 4.7 gallons of 10% chlorine.

16. Back To Top    #16

Yes, there are some variations between the CHart and the Pool Calc. Both will work, the higher will work faster, of course, that's an awful lot of chlorine!

Good luck.

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    Yes, there are some variations between the CHart and the Pool Calc. Both will work, the higher will work faster, of course, that's an awful lot of chlorine!

Good luck.
    Yes it is! I have this image of sticking my arm in the pool, and nothing but bone coming out

18. Back To Top    #18

In the Industry

Don't be scared, we have customers who pour in 20 2.5gl containers of 10.5% in their pools to get things turned around quicker. You'd be surprised at how fast it gets used up from the algae.

19. Back To Top    #19

So I shocked the pool last night. According to the pool calculator, I needed to add 6 gallons (of 10% chlorine) to go from 2 ppm to 30 ppm (22000g pool with 100 CYA). I did this and measured the chlorine 1 hour later. Instead of 30 ppm, I measured only 12 ppm . I measured it this morning: 12 ppm. I measured it tonight: 10 ppm (It was 95 degrees in So Cal today, so losing 2 ppm sounds about right). My SWG was off during this whole process.

What happened to all that chlorine? How could I go from 30 ppm to 12 ppm in an hour? BTW, the pool looked perfect prior to shocking (crystal clear, no measurable CC, no algae). The only reason I'm doing this is to try to understand why my SWG isn't working as well as it used to. Prior to all this, I had done an overnight FC test and there was no chlorine loss.

On a related note. Does anybody have any figures about how much chlorine an Aqau Rite T-Cell-15 should generate per hour?

20. Back To Top    #20

1.45 lbs of 100% chlorine per day when run at 100% output for 24h/day

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast