Hi from a new member!

Jul 10, 2009
Hi all. After checking Google re. ePool (chemical checker gadget) I found this site. TREMENDOUS site! I decided to 'join' since I hope 6o gain a ton of info and hope to also add some insights of my own. First of all, I'm 60, female, married 36 yrs., no kids, just had to let my little doggy (of 13 years) go to heaven because his cancer came back for the 3rd time and there were other problems w/ him this time. I take care of our pool (18'x36' inground) basically myself since I'm retired from the Fed. Govt. We have a pool company open and close it though...great people. Our swimming 'season' here is from very late May thru MAYBE early September, but it's worth it!

After reading all the comments about the ePool I decided to take mine back to Leslie's Pool. I've never put so much chemicals into it before! We've had it since 1986. I have the simple test strips that I used to use and my sister told me about ePool. After about a week it was in the pool, it said I had to change the sensor, (didn't do that), then the next day it needed chlorine (probably did and I added chlorine), then it was soda ash, then it was chlor-brite (a shock), then after THAT, i needed more chlorine. I had to clean the sensor twice and THIS time when it said to replace it, I thought I'd just clean it and when I opened the bottom, the sponge (which had turned a deep cinnamon color) just fell apart in my hand when I went to squeeze it out and let it get fresh pool water! Nowhere does it say that you should remove it (said it was permanently installed...mine fell out when I just opened it fresh from the box!) and nowhere does it say where you can just order a sponge. I'm sure just cutting a 'make-up' sponge would do the same job. That's when I saw a comment from tikibar (?) that stated they checked w/ GAME and that the PH sensor and battery pack will be around $100 - $125 !!! THAT'S when I decided mine was going back to Leslie's next week! Thank you tikibar!!! :cheers:

Now, for my first contribution to the site: I got tired of spending $25+ for solor reel covers every 2 or 3 years so I decided to make my own. Went to JoAnn Fabric store to purchase vinyl and velcro. To measure for YOUR reel: Measure the length, that's the amount of yardage you will need. Then measure the circumference when the solar cover is ON the reel. (Mine was approx 45".) Measure the vinyl width (usually 54" or so) and cut it to the circumference YOU will need to go around the cover. Cut the vinyl. Get the velcro to fit the length of the solar reel (e.g. 18' reel will need 18' of velcro). If the velcro is extremely sticky, you can try just putting it on the vinyl. I didn't think mine was sticky enough so I actually stapled the velcro to each side of the vinyl. WORKS GREAT and should last many many years. The vinyl won't 'unravel' like those white plastic ones do. Once I'm used to this site, I'll send a pic of what it looks like.

Thanks for having me!
Francesca48

Welcome to TFP Francesca48 :wave: Bunch of great folks here :goodjob: Sorry about your dog. I feel your pain. I just lost one of my Border Collies. :cry: She was 12.