black ring at water level, vinyl in-ground pool

jwfrank

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 14, 2008
Todi, Umbria, Italy
Checking thru posts, I see this black ring at water level is referred to as a "scum line"

Is there a natural product (like baking soda is used in BBB and that is readily available in supermarket or hardware stores) that can be used to remove it without upsetting chem balance?

so will a paste of baking soda and water (might raise TA or pH a bit) or you can get tile soap from the pool store.
To help prevent it put a "scumbug" or "scumball" (special oil absrobing sponge) in your skimmer. They are very cheap and last for a few seasons. Just rinse them out in the sink when they get dirty.
In very severe cases an enzyme might be helpful but these are expensive.
If your liner is less than a year old you might have 'black goo' which is just excess plasticizer leaching fom the vinyl. It stops after a year or so. Not much you can do for that except wait it out and clean it off when it gets bad.

Waterbear, thanks. this black line seems like a smudge or grime, and does not have an oily feel. (we dont use sun tan lotions, altho I know body oils are oils too)

Q: in the "paste of baking soda and water", does the baking soda have a chemical reaction with this "grime" to remove it? Or is the "elbow grease" of applying it that removes teh black line?

I find that a synthetic pot scrubber (not metal) lifts most of it, but of course, I wonder if this over time might damage the vinyl

Baking soda, pot scrubbers, and magic erasers are all mild abrasives. Baking soda is probably the least aggressive. Tile soap can remove the scum line without being abrasive at all but any of the above should be fine to use.
It might not feel oily but dirt is still sticking to the vinyl because of something oily floating on the water surface causing dirt to adhere so any of the suggestions I gave at keeping it under control should work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.