Decks

tb73

Jul 5, 2009
Im still in the planning phase of my ABP and looking to see if anyone has any rough idea on how much it would cost to have a 6 ft deck put around a 24ft round pool. Im having the pool installed most of the way into the ground maybe 2ft out of the ground. Any pics would be great also because I just cant deciede on what will look nice. Thanks in advance!

Im thinking I want the deck to go all the way around the pool. I also want it to cover my exsisting patio which is ground level and small. My main question is a rough estimate on the pool deck itself. HELP! Thanks for the google idea, didnt even think about it.

$$$ :mrgreen:

We got an estimate on our deck addition (somewhere on the forum is a couple of pics floating around) at $3,400. We decided (well, DH decided) to do it himself. Two years into the project (doing it in his "spare" time) we probably spent closer to $5 K. And the deck isn't big enough IMHO. I wish we had gone with a different design, but oh well.

My BIL's deck is as you describe, sort of, and I will see him Saturday. I'll check with him on what he spent.

Here's ours....new this year. We didn't go all around the pool, just along one side. I like seeing the yard around it.

Attachments

• pool 17.jpg
    pool 17.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 2,043
  • pool 15.jpg
    pool 15.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 2,029
here are some pics of ours...we went for the large area vs going around the pool...I ended up doing most of the work myself and cost around $6500 for materials...a good ballpark if you want someone else to do the work is double the material cost. Best quote I received to have it built was $8500 for Pressure treated or $13,500 they way you see it in the pics...I did it myself, except digging the footings

http://s702.photobucket.com/albums/ww30/dmanb2b/

I too, went for the large deck (8x20) area as opposed to going all the way around the pool. Although now I wish I would have done the walk around. I have to get into the pool to vacuum and stuff. I really don't mind as long as the water is warm enough..lol We did it ourselves and are by no means carpenters or construction people so it isn't perfect, but it serves the purpose. We still have to build the gate and handrail which is a fairly easy job. We used pressure treated lumber because my DH nearly choked at the price of the good stuff...lol..I'd have to say we probably have around 2500-3000 into it.

Attachments

• DSCF1285.bmp
    511.9 KB · Views: 1,964
Here's what we're in the process of doing (DIY). If I had the plans my DH drew up already on my computer, I'd include them as well. He did a great job drawing up the plans. So instead, I'll just run the figures out for you.

We have a 16 x 32. The deck runs 8' out in front of the pool, 10' out at the end where the pool equipment is (because we'll be installing a slide there and needed the extra space on that end), 5' out along the opposite end, which leads into a 12' area in the back left corner, which will be covered. Then, the backside of the pool, the deck runs 5' out over to the pool equipment.

Now, given all that, we received three quotes: $6500 (labor only), $12K (inclusive) and $14K (inclusive). So we opted for DIY and are enjoying DIY, except for the Texas heat of 100+ :shock: Our costs for materials, which includes 5 gal Behr stain/sealant and nice cedar railing all the way around, and of course, a bonus for my DH, a framing nailer (I think that's what it's called): $4500.

We hope to finish installing the frames tomorrow (had a minor glitch today :roll: ) and work on getting the planks installed during the week - so we can at least start getting back into the pool again before summer is out. We'll be taking our time on the railing, since we're making it as well, as opposed to buying the pre-fabbed railing.

Hope this gives you an idea of what you're looking for.

Attachments

• 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 1,858
Thanks for the pic, I would love to see it when its finished. Your estimate give me a good idea. Ours would not be that large. Maybe 4-6 ft out around it. But it is nice to see that its a semi inground. How many inches is your pool out of the ground? Im looking at having 2ft out of the ground.

Thanks again!

My BIL said he spent $2,000, DIY.

His pool is 21' round, and the deck is a rectangle, the pool sits at one end of the rectangle. At the pool end, it's surrounded by 18-24 inches of decking, enough to comfortably walk around, the other end the deck area is larger so you have a large rectangle seating area. He has enough room for a round table in one corner, and a couple of loungers and a deck box in the other.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
tb73 said:
Thanks for the pic, I would love to see it when its finished. Your estimate give me a good idea. Ours would not be that large. Maybe 4-6 ft out around it. But it is nice to see that its a semi inground. How many inches is your pool out of the ground? Im looking at having 2ft out of the ground.

Thanks again!

No problem. I'll come back to your thread and post a link to the pictures from start to finish. I've been taking pictures since we started, like we did with the pool. He was supposed to have buried our pool 3'. So, depending on where you're standing (ground is not level around the pool), it's anywhere from 8" - 17" out of the ground.

DH stood on the deck frame yesterday and looked down at the pool and said it feels really cool standing there looking down. We can't wait 'til we're finished!

Here's our deck build so far. We still need to put up the railing, steps (there will be three sets of steps - one in front and one set on each side of the pool equipment) and evergreen landscaping around the deck, plus the paver walkway from the patio out to the pool. We have the pavers, but probably won't get to that this summer. Building this deck in the hot Texas weather has about done us in!

http://s586.photobucket.com/albums/ss30 ... k%20Build/

Wow that sure looks like a lot of work! Thanks for sharing. I have decieded to go all the way in the ground with my pool(its a radiant pool that can go all the way inground) and have concrete put around it, it was half the price of a wood deck and it will go all the way around the pool.! They start Monday so I will post pics as it goes in!

That's great! I'll look forward to seeing the pictures. I've become an addict to looking at all the pool builds, pic-by-pic. My family just doesn't understand me any more :lol: I hope you enjoy it as much as we've enjoyed ours!!

Well, I guess I forgot to come back here to post our finished (almost) deck. All we have left to do is turn the bricks around, where the steps are, and do the bottom tie-ins at the corners. The last pictures are after we had it professionally stained and sealed. Unfortunately, the day after, Wylie started having downpours, and they haven't stopped yet (it now being Sept. 21)! So all the pretty color is now gone, but the seal appears to have taken!

Hope you enjoy!

http://s586.photobucket.com/albums/ss30 ... k%20Build/
(Deck Build)

http://s586.photobucket.com/albums/ss30 ... l%20Build/
(Pool Build)

dmanb2b said:
here are some pics of ours...we went for the large area vs going around the pool...I ended up doing most of the work myself and cost around $6500 for materials...a good ballpark if you want someone else to do the work is double the material cost. Best quote I received to have it built was $8500 for Pressure treated or $13,500 they way you see it in the pics...I did it myself, except digging the footings

http://s702.photobucket.com/albums/ww30/dmanb2b/

I know this is an old post, but curious where you got the platform that the pump/filter is sitting on?

I've been trying to find something exactly like that, and everyone tells me just to pour some concrete into a mold.

That was our "back porch" if you can believe that! We had a patio poured and held on to the cement, then ended up using it as our equipment pad. They weren't too happy about having to drag it around the back yard! :mrgreen: But it worked out perfect.

Cherie said:
That was our "back porch" if you can believe that! We had a patio poured and held on to the cement, then ended up using it as our equipment pad. They weren't too happy about having to drag it around the back yard! :mrgreen: But it worked out perfect.

Deckplans.com

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.