I can't figure out what happened - please help

vjpool

Jul 4, 2007
Memphis, TN
I have been following advice from this forum for 2+ years. I opened the pool later this season than before, but, never experienced this problem. This is the first time in 2 years that my readings are not good. Please help me figure out what might be wrong. Thanks in advance.
TH=100
TC=.5
FC=.5
pH=7.2
TA=80
CYA=20

First of all, how are you testing your water? You have total hardness, which is a test strip test and NOT a drop based test so you are not following our advice if you are using strips.
Your CYA is low which might very well explain the low FC readings.
However, If you are using strips, which I suspect you are because of the TH reading then all your readings are suspect.
Other than the low CYA and low chlorine (which are easily fixable by just balancing your water) what problems are you having? All your other readings are OK except for the CH if your pool is either plaster or fiberglass.
Since you have a plaster pool I suggest you get a test for calcium hardness and NOT total hardness and add calcium to bring the level up.

Waterbear - you are right about that reading - it was from strips (until my reagents came)- my drip testing was on the other side of the paper and here they are:

FC=2.5
CC=.5
TC=3.0
pH=7.8
TA=70
CH=110
CYA=25

Thanks for picking up on that. and for your help...

This reading is a bit different! You need to raise the CH and the CYA and you might want to shock to get rid of the CC but otherwise your numbers are not too bad. Keep an eye on the ph and lower it if it goes any higher.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.