Striving to Dilute to lower CYA (newbie)..

Jun 30, 2017
Easley SC
Per Web advice, focusing on controlling CYA. Only measuring CYA and Chlorine at present. Using the Taylor K-2006 and 6-way strips. Diluted by 25% when Sat 7-8-17 when CYA was at 100+ (1/4" below 100 mark), FC=1.5, CC=1.5, average pool depth is 4' since I kept the deep end at 5', so dropped level by 1', CYA is still showing about the same, FC=.5,CC=.5. Pool-Math showing drop another 64%, I intend to drop 50% (2') tomorrow: 7-11-17. Just want to confirm I am on the right track and test posting. THX to all.

Thanks pooldv, now showing FC=0, TC=barely showing (using strip test for now, doesn't test CC). CYA=70-80 (using K2006). This ? comes to mind, since most liquid chlorine is between 6 and 12% and SHOCK (hth from Wal-Mart is 56.44%) why wouldn't it be best to always use SHOCK (or granular-comparable)? One more ?, when viewing the black dot for CYA test; inside workshop under florescent light I got 90, outside in daylight I got 70, Is there a best method to view the dot? Adding this comment a little later; The type of shock I'm referring to is the "htp super shock", shows Calcium Hypochlorite 56.44%, other 43.56%, I called to double check the "other" didn't contain CYA, basically it is inert. The Gal of Bleach is about $5, the 1lb bag of Cal-Hypo is $3,50 in a 6pk bag. I pre-dilute the Cal-Hpo to avoid bleaching the liner (if used) and punch a hole with an ice-pick (about 1/8") and lay the gal bottle across the skimmer top opening (corner to corner) - so either one is not very hard to dispense. The Cal-Hypo would be easier to store and a little cheaper - I lean towards that one.

That CYA is workable, in my opinion, especially if pool gets full sun. I don't know that I would fuss with it much further. A couple of thunderstorms and backwashes and you'd be where you want to be. I will defer to those with many more years' pool experience however.

Me, at that point I would be slowly getting the PH within range and SLAMing the pool.

Liquid Chlorine and powdered shock are both chlorine but are different animals. Play around with pool calculator and you will see that. It's all a matter of personal preference and local cost of Chlorine. I can get 12.5% liquid pool chlorine here for $3.84/gal.

As an example, in 15300 gallons, 128 oz/1 Gal of 12.5% bleach will raise FC by 8.2, while 16 oz/1 lb of 53% Cal-hypo will raise FC by 4.1.

I add the liquid in front of a return jet, just slowly enough that it doesnt gurgle in the jug or sink in the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.