Here's one for the <ahem> coffee bar...

I grew up in Miami and Materva Yerba Mate soda was a common flavor in the grocery store and available in cans and bottles at convenience stores. One of my favorite sodas, actually. It is very big in the Cuban community but more for the flavor than anything else. Never drank it as tea.

I find it interesting that Green Tea has become such a popular flavor in the US that you can now get green tea soda from several companies.
Perhaps this will become the American Yerba Mate.

I buy a case of Materva everytime I visit South Florida! Great stuff, but too sweet, so for the past many years, I buy the diet version, which is a little harder to come by. From my understanding, although it is yerba mate based, it doesn't taste much like the real deal... I'll have to try this out.

Beez - how do you brew/drink this? Brew like tea and drink straight up, right? No sugar, milk or anything else?

no-mas said:
I buy a case of Materva everytime I visit South Florida! Great stuff, but too sweet, so for the past many years, I buy the diet version, which is a little harder to come by. From my understanding, although it is yerba mate based, it doesn't taste much like the real deal... I'll have to try this out.

Beez - how do you brew/drink this? Brew like tea and drink straight up, right? No sugar, milk or anything else?
Yes, I brew it in a french press like tea, and drink straight up. No sugar, milk or any other adjunct. But only those with adventurous palates need apply. It is an aquired taste.

If I recall correctly, my initial impression was something like...hmmm...muddy water...cigarette butts...yes, day old grass clippings steeped in muddy water, sipped from a dirty ashtray...THAT'S IT! :mrgreen:

But believe it or not, it grows on you fast. Like I said, I just can't get enough! No wonder South Americans carry it around with them wherever they go...

Beez said:
If I recall correctly, my initial impression was something like...hmmm...muddy water...cigarette butts...yes, day old grass clippings steeped in muddy water, sipped from a dirty ashtray...THAT'S IT! :mrgreen:

Funny. When people try Materva for the first time, some have told me it tastes like "chewing tobacco juice".

no-mas said:
Beez said:

Funny. When people try Materva for the first time, some have told me it tastes like "chewing tobacco juice".
I've heard people call it cigarette butt soda. :mrgreen:

And you would want to take a second drink of it .....why? If that's an accurate description of the taste, I believe I would rather have ANYthing else grow on me, like a third eye, before I would continue drinking it.

No accounting for taste, though. Each to their own, eh?

Reminds me of a can of Puerto Rican coffee a guy brought into work once. Opened the can, and it smelled like B.O. :shock: I immediately put the lid on, and told him no how, no way was that going through our coffee maker. He got mad, went home, made some, and the next day said "you were right. One drink, I threw the can away".

NWMNMom said:
And you would want to take a second drink of it .....why? If that's an accurate description of the taste, I believe I would rather have ANYthing else grow on me, like a third eye, before I would continue drinking it.

I actually liked the taste the first time I tried it thanks to some Cuban friends. Then again I've heard people say awful things about Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray soda (another Ethnic delight, this one Jewish), which is one of my favorites when I can find it!
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cel-Ray)
I personally would take either flavor over Dr. Pepper, which is the nastiest stuff I have ever tasted!

NWMNMom said:

yes, Yes, YES, PLEASE may I have some more???

SSSSLLLLLLLLLUUUUUUURRRRRPPPPP...AHHHHHHHHHH...muchas gracias!

But seriously, did you actually enjoy your first taste of beer...or wine...or coffee? How 'bout sauerkraut? Brussels sprouts? Broccoli? You get the idea...

I didn't say that it still tastes like that, it was just my first impression. :goodjob:

:cheers:
Dave

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh, one more thing about mate for those adventurous few...the taste characteristics vary widely between brands. Some are stronger while others are more mild, some brands have a much more pronounced smoky flavor while others are much less smoky. My point being that it is wise to taste several different brands before making a final judgement.

I find the Nobleza Gaucha brand that I referenced in my original post to have a good balance of taste characteristics. I also like Cruz de Malta, and didn't care much for Taragui. A good one for tea drinkers might be Aviva. It is a good crossover for tea drinkers because it has a strong tannin flavor and mild smokiness. It also yields a very clear brew, whereas the others mentioned are cloudy when brewed.

Beware the Guyaki brand that is sold in health food stores. It has a very strong smoke component, is overpriced, and is generally not a good choice for budding mate heads. It was my first experience with mate, and had I not been persistent could have been responsible for quashing a perfectly good mate addiction. :hammer:

:cheers:
Dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.