Status last night using Taylor K-2006:
    FC-.5
    CC-1.5
    PH-7.4
    T/A-140
    CYA-0
    CH-350
    Water is cloudy.

Last night added 4lbs stabilizer in sock by return and 96 oz - 6% liquid bleach.

Status today pool place test:
    FC-0
    CC-.1
    PH-7.0
    T/A-120
    CYA-0
    CH-360
    Water is a little clearer but still somewhat cloudy.

How long should I wait for CYA to increase before adding more stabilizer?
    Put in excess required luquid bleach but it still did not hold. How much more
    should I add?
    Thanks.......
    14K gal, vinyl, Swimpro 2.5 hp cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Losing FC

Wait a week to retest the CYA.

Do you know how to use the Pool Calculator?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Experimented w/it last night. Getting conflicting instructions from pool place and the calculator. PP soaked me for enough already this season and their suggestions haven't
    been working. Decided to research on my own and found this website. Inherited pool with new house .....not enjoying it at the moment.

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, I can understand that.

3 small jugs of 6% will raise you to shock level (10).

Tomorrow, consider your shock level 12, which is 3.6 small jugs. (if your FC is again 0).

On the Pool Calc, you enter your gallons. Then in the "now" column, you enter your current test results....in this case "0". Then in the "target" box you enter 10. Tomorrow consider your CYA as 30 (based on the 4 lb addition) and your target is 12 (the higher your CYA, the higher your shock level). We usually say "assume" it's in there 24 hours after addition but don't test for it for a week.

Hit calculate, the results are to the right, listed in ounces. If you move your cursor over that result, it tells you how many jugs that is, in the box up above.
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks....I'll give it a try!

6. Back To Top    #6

To expand on FPM's post you should read the how to shock your pool

pool-school/shocking_your_pool

you have a good test kit so you need to keep your chlorine at the recommended minimum level at all times for your CYA level, see this chart for your level

pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock
    I consider myself very lucky I found this site before the pool store found me-pool owner since Nov 2008- Stunningly clear 17,000 gal fiberglass pool, thanks to this site, installed in 1982-24" 3.1sq. ft sta-rite sand filter, 1 hp - 2 speed wisperflo pump-WFDS-4

7. Back To Top    #7

pb2. Definately listen to the folks on this forum and the PC. Don't listen to the PS
    Lynn

16x38 FG, 20,400G, 1HP/2sp Tristar pump, Hayward 425sq ft cart. filter, Pro Logic4, SWCG, 3 returns, 2 main drains, 1 skimmer, 4 Pentair deck jets, Hayward Phantom pressure cleaner/booster pump, TF-100 of course :-)orthofish-s-pool-build-finally-t13179.html

8. Back To Top    #8

Most definitely. Pool looks better already. I'll keep you posted. Thank you for any and all advice!!!

9. Back To Top    #9

Just wanting to make sure I'm on the right track.....

FC on 7/9 dropped back to 0. Added 290 oz bleach.

FC on 7/10 dropped back to .5 Added 364 oz bleach. Tested an hr later and it was 10.

FC on 7/11 am dropped to 1.5. Added 390 oz bleach. At 1:00 pm levels were at 10. Lots of sunshine this afternoon and at 6:00 pm it has dropped to 5.5. How much bleach would you recommend I add tonight?

10. Back To Top    #10

I'm sure the experts will expound but I'd recommend adding bleach more than once a day till you get it to hold. To me your issue is that the FC is dropping really fast and by letting it drop back below shock level your giving the stuff growing a chance to gain on you. I think I'd add 1 gallon right now then 2 quarts in the morning and two quarts in the evening till it turns around. Of course good testing is essential.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

yeah, you're losing ground right now by letting it fall like that. the more you can add, the better (hourly at most). if you can only add once per day, this plan may not work for you.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks, I'll keep trying.

13. Back To Top    #13

Hi pb2,

Keep shocking up to about FC of 13-ish

How does your water look now?

Welcome to the forum
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

14. Back To Top    #14

Water is better but still not crystal clear. Black deposits on the bottom of the pool this morning. Dead algea?? Vac'd and added 136 oz bleach to bring the level from 5 to 10. Ph has dropped to 7.0. Added all the borax I had on hand (65 oz) and aerating from return. Alkalinity
    rose to 140. Exactly what recommended constant FC levels should I be aiming for? I'm getting confused.......

15. Back To Top    #15

pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock
    you added enough cya to get to 30 right? butterfly gave you the number in the post directly above.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

16. Back To Top    #16

yes....approx 58 oz. Haven't tested it yet since it hasn't been a week. Should I go ahead a test to see what the current level is?

17. Back To Top    #17

you used granular or liquid cya? granular, wait a week, liquid should be instant (30 mins or so).

18. Back To Top    #18

granular

19. Back To Top    #19

You wait a week to test for it, but 24 hours after it has dissolved, assume the level is there and raise the shock level accordingly. So for example if your CYA was 0, your shock level was 10. 24 hours after adding enough CYA to reach 30, your shock level would then be 12 (or 13 ). If you add enough to reach 50, then the shock level would become 20....

20. Back To Top    #20

These are the latest test results from the pp.

TC - .5
    FC - 0
    PH - 6.6
    Alka - 120
    Hard - 375
    Stabilizer - 0
    Phosphate - 300

I added 4lbs of stabilizer a week ago (level was at 0). Thought there should be some change in CYA. I've been shocking to 12 for the last 7 days. Morning and evening. Levels were holding at 5-6. PP tells me to add Revive, 5 lbs of conditioner and 1 1/2 lbs of ph plus. Added 65 oz of borax 4 days ago since ph was at 7.0.

Any advice as to how to get this under control. Everything I am trying, is not working. Ready to call the cement truck.

Thanks.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast