Finally, it is on! Southeast PA Build

Yeah he said it wouild be another 250 or so. Just wondering if on a 3 foot section if it would look silly or be a slipping hazard. There is another foot of coping as well.

So the patio got put in last Friday. We are now waiting on final grading, our storm water basin, the fence and plaster. Though this has taken way longer than expected, I am glad to know that I'll be able to open the pool next year and jump right in. We ended up going with a broom finish patio and a different shape to reduce the number of sharp edges in the layout. The slide (if we end up moving forward) will have to wait until next year. I am still so torn. I'd love some sort of movement in the water, but we cut out any of that during the build. I suppose laminar jets might not be too hard to add later on the side where the patio is only 4 feet wide. For now I am watering the patio two times a day. I think it is overkill and cannot find solid advice on how to cure the patio. The builder said I need not do anything, but this is not what advice I find elsewhere.

20170902_134828.jpg20170902_134803.jpg
20170904_133451.jpg20170901_110903.jpg

If it were mine I'd keep it damp for a week. If it's having a negative impact on your life (running home at lunch to water your patio) then you're probably okay stopping now. You've got four days in it now, three is the minimum I'd recommend depending on local conditions.

If it were mine I'd keep it damp for a week.

Thanks....I have been watering 2x a day. It's been cool and rainy here most days so it's little effort. I read I shouldn't let it dry out, but I don't have burlap mats handy. I crossed my fingers that a good soaking twice a day was good enough even if it dried off.

As thin as decks are, that is mostly cured now. I'd say there was no need for any water from the start. The pool is different it is a different concrete and much thicker.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can you climb a latter or have a 2nd story with a window to take a pic of it looking down at it?

The picture I took above was from a second floor. Here's another pic from above that :)

20170911_164855.jpg

At this point, they are now digging out the storm water management pit. We are maybe two weeks out from plaster. That should give me a good month to manage the pH rise before winterizing the pool. Here's to hoping winter doesn't hit too early!

The picture I took above was from a second floor. Here's another pic from above that :)

View attachment 69031

At this point, they are now digging out the storm water management pit. We are maybe two weeks out from plaster. That should give me a good month to manage the pH rise before winterizing the pool. Here's to hoping winter doesn't hit too early!

If it was me I'd wait until first thing next year to plaster the pool. I doubt you'll get much swimming in this year anyway...

My understanding is that doing now is better as I'll get a chemical bond instead of just a mechanical one. So the plaster will adhere better and last longer than if I wait. If I close the pool in late October/early November then I'll have plenty of time to manage pH.

The problem is that I see conflicting info on this. I also worry that if I wait, I might not be plastered first thing and am still looking at a shell in July. From what I've read, the first 30 days are critical. I can stay open that long. After that I can monitor, add acid if needed and move it around with a robot or by brush with opening portions of the cover at a time.

And here is the ridiculous storm water pit. It is enormous (54×10×4) and designed for the extra 800 sq ft of patio I built.

07910b7ee1fa5ddcbfce4a26034ef8ad.jpg

Listen to Brian! I plastered in July mid July actually and I still am dealing with ph rise. Now they did an acid startup for me. They went very gentle with my startup.

As of this week my ph rises daily .2. I have to add acid daily to keep it at 7.4 which is a sweet spot for my csi right now. I was going down to 7.2 and then I would get 2 days out of it only still. At this point I can't close I feel cause it will keep rising over winter.

Brian what are your thoughts on ph rise. Will cold weather and water aide in slowing ph rise? Or is all dependent on the plaster still curing? Right now my builder said we will stay open as late as we can within reason.

But like I said my ph still rises daily. I might let it do tonight for a few and see how many days it takes for it to get to 8.0. My ta is only 60 also.

Jim

Thanks all...the pool builder came by and we talked about the startup. They use their own private labeled stuff after plastering going by the brand of Jack's Magic. I don't think they do an acid startup, but they said I only need to use this stuff. They say it is a sequestrant to prevent scaling and aide the curing process. I was looking at Startup-Tec, but wonder if they would let me use something else given warranty issues. They also told me to fill the pool right away, but I though pebble products need a little bit of air drying before filling. They told me they would do a light acid wash to expose the aggregate after troweling everything. I'll have to do some more research on the approaches, but appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Thanks all...the pool builder came by and we talked about the startup. They use their own private labeled stuff after plastering going by the brand of Jack's Magic. I don't think they do an acid startup, but they said I only need to use this stuff. They say it is a sequestrant to prevent scaling and aide the curing process. I was looking at Startup-Tec, but wonder if they would let me use something else given warranty issues. They also told me to fill the pool right away, but I though pebble products need a little bit of air drying before filling. They told me they would do a light acid wash to expose the aggregate after troweling everything. I'll have to do some more research on the approaches, but appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

that sounds exactly like my start up. handed me a gallon plus container of stuff to pour in mixed with water. helped for curing. didn't tell me the name even after I asked. they did a light brush with acid mix to expose and I filled. I deff didn't have an acid startup. my PH like I said is up .2 everyday now. I will say I didn't add acid for 2 days now. it went up the .2 still last night. iwas surprised. maybe my ph wants to be a bit higher. that's what I'm triyng to see, but once it hits 8.0 I'm bringing it back down.

jim

So the fill tap water I am using has about 175 CH, the Cl is maybe around 5 and pH around 7.3. We are going to hook up 3-4 hoses and go for it. I will be keeping the pool open into November. At that point, I will monitor over the winter, brush as needed, add acid as needed and run my robot to move the water around/added brushing. Today we had a water line run out to the pool so I have a house bib out there (it's about 180 feet from the house to the equipment). The plaster will go in tomorrow. Temperatures expected to be in the low 80's and sunny.

I had a hard time reading the Cl level. At first I thought it was maybe 0.5, but my wife and I looked at it after a few minutes and read it as 5. Maybe the test needs to read right away so the results don't change? Or is it possible the tap water has that high a level of chlorine?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.