Is this too much pump?

soundguy

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2009
Gulf Coast, AL
Here is my pool thread.

The plumbing is approx 10' from the side of the pool and probably 2-3' below the water's surface.
The pipes are 1.5"
There is a single 1.5" return directly under the (1) skimmer

I am going to put a 1.5" T and direct the water to both ends for flow.

The sand filter is a Hayward S244T 300#.

The pump I'm thinking about is a Hayward Tristar model SP3210X152 2 speed.
High=131 gpm @ 30'
Low=45 gpm @ 15'

I plan on running the pump on low for long cycles or maybe 24/7.
When I need to vacuum, I'll run it on high.

I may add a polaris to one side of the T in the future.

My question is:

Is this too much pump for the plumbing?
Am I going to blow something up if I use it on high?

Is there a better way to accomplish the circulation/vacuuming @ more efficiency?

Thanks.

On 1.5" plumbing, you won't get anywhere close to those flow rates. From the pictures you posted, it looks like you have only one suction line and one return line which indicates a high head loss pool so you will want to go with as small a pump as possible.

However, since you are going with a two speed, which is a good thing, you may need to stick with a 1.5 HP uprated if you want a Tristar. Two speeds are hard to find in lower HP ratings but there are a few such as the Whisperflo line.

The SP3210X152 is an uprated 1.5 HP with a service factor of 1.1. The full rated version is the SP32102EE which is a 1.0 HP with a service factor of 1.85. Both pumps have the same performance curve (note the SP3210 is the same for both pumps). The x15 indicates an uprated 1.5 HP.

Anyway, as for damage, usually, the filter is the only concern. Since you have a 3.1 sq-ft filter, the recommended maximum is around 60 GPM. Usually, you want to be about 80% of that value. The TriStar at full speed might very well be over 60 GPM but it depends on the head loss in the plumbing.

Given your filter size, you might want to stick with a SuperPump. A SP2607X102S would provide about 50 GPM on high speed and 25 GPM on low speed but again it depends on the plumbing loss but that is about as small a 2 speed as you can get.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.