Have we been "pool-stored" - question about ionizer

hawkins3

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 9, 2009
Eastern NC
Well, after reading this website for the past couple of days I think we've been pool-stored ...

We purchased an AG 24' x 52" round to be installed within the next couple of weeks from the large pool store in the "big city" 1.5 hours away. We also bought a power ionizer for an extra $250 but am now a little concerned we wasted some money. I'm very interested now in going the BBB route to safely maintain our water quality. So do we have a worthless $250 piece of equipment that's not going to really do anything other than possibly turn our 3-year-old son's light blonde hair green? :) If we're going to return the ionizer, I want to go ahead & do it before the box is even opened.

Oh, and yeah, we bought $80 worth of individually bagged shock that I know we won't be able to return. Guess we'll have to eat that one & chalk it up to ignorance ...

I'll order one of the recommended test kits tonight & will go ahead & test our water prior to filling the pool so we'll know where we're starting. I've already read "Pool School" once & will print the entire thing for my pool notebook that I'm sure I'm going to need.

Look forward to this forum & thanks in advance.

Yep, you've been "pool-stored". Don't feel bad, it's happened to the vast majority of us, which is one of the reasons we're here. I'd go ahead and return it.

If nothing else, put the "shock" up for sale on craigslist, and try to recover some of your money. I know if I was in the market, I'd probably go for $80 of shock for say $50. :goodjob:

But wait! Bagged shock still has chlorine in it! I think it is good to have some stable chlorine sources on hand, pucks and cal-hypo or dry shock - lest you suddenly one day need to add chlorine, you are out, and waiting until tomorrow is not a good idea. One use of the wrong stuff won't throw the numbers too much if it avoids letting algae take hold in the pool.

Depending on which sort it is, you may want to use it at the start of the season if you have to add a lot of water to the pool if it has CYA in it and you need a slight increase in CYA. And, if it is cal-hypo, you certainly want to keep it. If you don't have calcium that is too high already it is OK to use cal-hypo to add chlorine - you just need to be sure to brush and mix it in well. For about a month or two I used cal-hypo to maintain chlorine as I needed to raise CH somewhat.

Like me, recently I suddenly realilzed it had been 4 days since I'd checked the pool chems. Alread 10 PM, no liquid shock or bleach on hand. Chlorine was at 1.5 and my range is 3.0 to 7.0 -- so I got two cups of cal-hypo and added it right then. That got me through the next two days so I could buy whatever was the better price locally.

Get rid of the ionizer, read the ingredients on the shock. If it is cal hypo or lithium hypochlorite you can use it instead of bleach until it is used up. If it is dichlor you can use it until your CYA is at the proper level and then swithch to bleach and not use it again unless your CYA drops. If it is MPS (potassium monopersulfate) sell it. It's really not that useful in an outdoor pool and I suspect that is what you were probably sold with the ionizer.
If you haven't read it this might be helpful:
alternative-sanitizers-and-chemical-free-pools-the-truth-t3025.html

Good news! The pool store allowed us to return the ionizer & exchange it, so hubby walked away with 2 lights, a solar cover, some CYA and pool toys - all stuff we wanted/needed anyway. I'm very relieved that they took it back. Of course, my husband had to deal with a lecture by the pool guy that BBB will never work & "we'll be back." :blah:

Thanks to all for the advice!

(waterbear - the bagged shock is Cal Hypo so we'll be able to use it)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.