It's my turn to take the conversion plunge!

Jul 9, 2009
Tampa, FL
Yeah, it's time. I have only had a pool since the spring and fell right into the Baquacil trap. At first it was fine. But as the summer rains have progressed throughout last month, my water quality has deteriorated. I've added Oxidizer, more Sanitizer, this and that, and my water is not improving. In fact, it has gotten worse. I can hardly see the bottom now. Hazy and milky. So, today I'll be going to Leslie's to get their water test kit and tomorrow I'll hit up Wal-Mart for the bleach, and go to it. I have read many posts and instructions on how to do it, so I think I have a good understanding on what to expect and how to get to a chlorine pool free of Baquacil, and hopefully I'll have a little more money in my pocket. I do have one question before I get strated. I am supposed to run the filter throughout the process, right?
I'll get some pics throughout the conversion and post on my progress. Please stick around, I'm sure I'll have some questions for the others that have already converted. I'm a bit nervous but I know it's for the best. Wish me luck!
Here is a pic from the end of May when all was good:
DSCF1770-1.jpg

Welcome to TFP!

Good luck on your conversion! We are always around to answer questions.

The best test kits are available over the Internet. It is really unusual to fine something that has a FAS-DPD chlorine test locally.

If they really have that one, then it is just fine. What usually happens is they don't have it, end up selling you a different one, and it turns out to not work out. But if they actually have the correct one you are good. You want the Leslie's Chlorine FAS-DPD Service Test Kit. Don't get anything else.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I got the PH down to 7.2 and started adding the bleach.
Here's a before:
DSCF0075-1.jpg

And this is seconds after adding the bleach to the water:
DSCF1805.jpg

DSCF1807.jpg

DSCF1809.jpg

Water turned nasty real fast. Not sure what my level of Baquacil was.
I'll post again in a few hours.

Thanks Butterfly!

Well, I am a few hours into the conversion and I do have a few questions.
1. My filter is so clogged with stuff that it hardly pushes water through and it makes this awful noise after just a few seconds of running the pump that I had to take out the filter media. Is this ok?
2. I want to make sure I am testing for FC correctly. I have the Taylor K-2006 test kit. I add two small scoops of the powder, then add the drops to make the water clear again. I am using 25ml of water so each drop acts as .2. It took 7 drops for the water to get clear again, so that means i take 7 and mulitply it by .2, to get 1.4 ppm of FC. Is this correct?

I'll wait for the experts to chime in about your cartridge media, but from what I have read you should probably clean it off and put it back so it can catch the goo that is leaving your water. I'm not sure because I had a sand filter, but I know when I changed it after my conversion it was a yucky mess!

Your test results sound accurate, just be sure to bump your chlorine levels back up to shock level as often as you can to speed up the process.

Good luck and once your finished you will be so much happier with your pool water, I know it made a world of difference for me!

Thanks for the reply. I managed to get the filter clean enough to put it back in. I'm getting this yellowish tint to the media and a yellow colored slimy mess in the baskets. Gross! But anyway, I'll take another picture when the rain stops and post it up, My water is like a greenish white tint right now.

Don't get discouraged the water will look horrible for several days, just keep pounding it with bleach. I went through about 70 large bottles, maybe even more to complete my conversion. I had low baquacil levels, since you have higher levels, it will take a little longer, just hang in there :goodjob:

The expense in bleach at the beginning will be well worth it in the end. I only use about 3 quarts a night now and have crystal clear water, and have not had any fluctuation in my TA and ph. So basically 5 minutes a nite adding bleach and viola!!

Attachments

• 216.bmp
    144.1 KB · Views: 519

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.