Love skimmer socks.

geekgranny said:
This past winter and fall I found several places on Internet that had the packages of skimmer socks 1/2 price or less. Like about $4 for 5 with no tax or shipping when ordered with other things. I bought a bunch of packages at those prices.

I am going to check out the paint strainers though.

gg=alice
I went to Walgreens and found some Queen-size Knee high nylons 2pr/$1.00. It takes some care stretching one around the skimmer without causing a run, but they work.

Richard320 said:
geekgranny said:
This past winter and fall I found several places on Internet that had the packages of skimmer socks 1/2 price or less. Like about $4 for 5 with no tax or shipping when ordered with other things. I bought a bunch of packages at those prices.

I am going to check out the paint strainers though.

gg=alice
I went to Walgreens and found some Queen-size Knee high nylons 2pr/$1.00. It takes some care stretching one around the skimmer without causing a run, but they work.

Good find. My skimmer is so big that only the panty part will fit the basket. I suspect many others, IG pools, are that way too. I don't know what the difference is but I actually get longer life from the "real" skimmer socks than panty hose panties. Not much though.

gg=alice

Been using them for years with my skimmer basket. The LPS (local pool store)has them for 5 bucks for 4 of them and they last the summer. I get tons of dandilion seeds floating around in the early summer so its worth it. I could probably make a sweater out of all the fuzzy seeds for as much as I pull out. LOL

We NEED to use skimmer socks! The water flows from the skimmer, pump, pcc2000 valve, to pcc2000 floor jets. If we didn't use the socks, any dirt/debris that would pass the skimmer and pump baskets would either end up back in the pool or cause problems with the pcc2000 system!

This time of year with flowers coming off the trees, bud shells, etc., if I didn't divert most of the stuff away from the skimmer it would fill up and clog in 5 minutes; hence the Pool Skims. One PS bag was totally full when I got home after errands yesterday, I emptied it and within 10 minutes it was full of the fallen flowers that were in the shallow end.

I'm a firm believer in skimmer sock and if I didn't have the Pool Skims I would have to close off the skimmer and pull water from the bottom drain only because they work so well. Fall (Oct through end Dec here) is the other time skimmer clogs really fast from leaves. All other times it catches a huge amount of floating dust/silt.

So everyone keep a close eye on the skimmer when loads of plant debris is falling/blowing into pool.

gg=alice

OK...I'm going to go ahead and ask a stupid question. I saw in a previous reply to this thread about using the paint strainers from Home Depot with the elastic openings. Are you guys putting the skimmer socks inside the skimmer basket, or around the outside of the basket. The reason I ask is b/c the only way I could figure was to place the liner around the outside of the basket; however, that leaves a much smaller opening in the top. I couldn't come up with a way to put the strainer on the inside due to the little metal crossbar handle thing. Doesn't look right the way I did it...someone tell me where I'm going wrong. :?:

Skimmer socks go INSIDE the basket. If you put them outside and they pull off, they'll plug the pipes and/or get into the pump and you'll have a real mess. If it comes off when mounted inside the skimmer basket the worst that would happen is that it'll float in your pool if the pump shuts off.

I don't know anything about these paint strainers you mentioned. I us devices sold as skimmer socks or, if I'm out, I might use an old knee high nylon.

AnnaK said:
Skimmer socks go INSIDE the basket. If you put them outside and they pull off, they'll plug the pipes and/or get into the pump and you'll have a real mess. If it comes off when mounted inside the skimmer basket the worst that would happen is that it'll float in your pool if the pump shuts off.
Please file this under ingenious fixes for things that aren't broken...

I use "nested" skimmer baskets that allow me to put the sock/knee-high on the outside of the basket. :cool:[attachment=0:39s157uy]skimmer baskets.jpg[/attachment:39s157uy]BTW, this is an old pic. I have since taken the goofy center handle-thingy out...

Attachments

• skimmer baskets.jpg
    skimmer baskets.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 290
Beez said:
I use "nested" skimmer baskets that allow me to put the sock/knee-high on the outside of the basket. :cool:[attachment=0]skimmer baskets.

Great idea. About the handle going across. I've seen pictures of the sock attached going around the edges of the handle but it seems to me that it would come off. I've never had to deal with the handles as they always come off pretty soon after I get a new one and the handle gets lost. I have a second basket that was just sitting in a closet. Today I put a new skimmer sock in it to put in when I take the other out. Good if one is in a hurry.

You can also put a rock or weight in the basket so that it doesn't float up when the pump turns off. I use the weights off of an old manual vacuum head. Someone else on the board uses a small piece of PVC loaded with bbs and end caps glued on. If using a rock make sure it is bigger than your pipe opening in case someone tries to put it down the plumbing.

gg=alice

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can you vacuum the pool with the skimmer sock attached? I've got a great deal of pollen that has settled to the bottom and vacuuming usually just redistributes it around the pool...so, was considering the vacuuming with the sock instead of vacuuming on the "waste" setting which is, well, wasteful.

Greg

We are redoing our deck. One word: sawdust
Lots of it.

I cleaned out the pantyhose in my drawer last week and I've found that the really spandexy type are hard to get over the basket without bending the basket. But, once on there..they are pretty sturdy. I broke my skimmer basket last week cleaning it out and while waiting for new one to arrive the skimmer sock pretty much kept the basket intact.

The non-control top seem to be the best for my skimmer basket. I also leave the foot in and it seems to really trap a LOT of stuff down in it as well.

I must go now and clean out my skimmer...

We're having a pretty windy day today; gust > 40 mph, calm between gust 20 mph. I like to change out skimmer sock before there is too much suction from clogging. Below is a picture of fresh sock put on this morning. Pool skim has caught most of the American Holly Tree blooms. Skimmer basket was stuck in there pretty hard from suction from the amount of stuff you can see. The white part of sock is where I had to grab the sock to pull up the basket. :rant: So this is a 2-4 skimmer sock day. :roll:

IMG_4049.jpg

Pool-creetin said:
Been using them for years with my skimmer basket. The LPS (local pool store)has them for 5 bucks for 4 of them and they last the summer. I get tons of dandilion seeds floating around in the early summer so its worth it. I could probably make a sweater out of all the fuzzy seeds for as much as I pull out. LOL

Last I counted I have over 20 skimmer socks that I purchased new this winter for half price. I change them out, at minimum, twice a day, let them dry, shake out over trash, dip them wrong side out in three separate buckets, and then wash them out (in a hosiery bag) in cold water/vinegar, in washer. I've been doing this, with these socks for several months now. So I don't know really how long they last. Last week, I purchased a box of Queen size knee highs, regular knit; several pairs per box for $5. It was a little more difficult to stretch them over the basket than new "real" socks. Within a day they were bleached out, they let through a lot of my microscopic, abrasive, stuff, and after three days they were beginning to shred. Another thing on my list of why my environment is so EXTREME. BTW..... I'm not shocking the pool so no huge amounts of chlorine and the real socks do sit for over a week, without rinsing pool water and debris out of them between cleanings. Guess I'm just going to have to stick with the "real" socks and stock up when I find them for $5 a package. I reused the knee highs after immediately dumping debris and rinsing out well. I think the Holly leaves tore them too which doesn't happen with the "real" socks.

gg=alice

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.