Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Love skimmer socks.

1. Back To Top    #1

Love skimmer socks.

They trap so much more junk than the filter baskets. Don't have to backwash filter as much. They're also called debris shields & you can buy them from Leslie's.
    Harrisburg, PA
    18 x 38 IG Gunite/plaster pool
    Oasis form 18,500 gal
    Jandy Aquapure SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Love skimmer socks.

Yes, quite a few people on this forum like the skimmer socks, myself included. They are especially nice when the weather starts to cool off and you are getting lots of leaves in the pool.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

3. Back To Top    #3

and you can buy them from any pool store, and from places like Wallyworld, too. Some of our members have bought some bigger sized ones online from ebay, as well.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

4. Back To Top    #4

Are there a similar contraption for the pump basket? Or would that be a bad idea? I'm just thinking it would keep hair from getting into the impeller via the main drain or suction cleaner...
    18k gal inground, everbrite finish, 505 sq ft; 1.5 hp two speed whisperflow; rheem 5100ti 100k btu heat pump; 3 sheer descent falls; DE filter; swg (cell out and using trichlor for now)

5. Back To Top    #5

I've never heard of one for the leaf basket in the pump. It'd be kind of hard to use there, as the water comes in from the side of the basket, so there would have to be a hole in the sock for the input flow.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by MikeInTN
    It'd be kind of hard to use there, as the water comes in from the side of the basket, so there would have to be a hole in the sock for the input flow.
    Yeah, good point.
    18k gal inground, everbrite finish, 505 sq ft; 1.5 hp two speed whisperflow; rheem 5100ti 100k btu heat pump; 3 sheer descent falls; DE filter; swg (cell out and using trichlor for now)

7. Back To Top    #7

Leslie's Pool was selling 3 for $5. I went to Walmart to buy a square yard of the material from the fabric department and cut a small piece of it to fit the skimmer. I put a rubber band around the opening to keep it in place. So far, it works great and it's a LOT cheaper. My two cents.

8. Back To Top    #8

I use nylon 1 gallon Paint strainers. I buy them at Orchard supply, home depot or Lowes. They are cheaper than buying skimmer socks at a pool supply store. They are nylon mesh with elastic top. I use them in my pool skimmer and they are great at catching small pine needles. I replace it about once a month.
    Jil
    20k gallon in ground pool w/spa, slide, diving board
    Polaris 280, Pentair 3/4 Booster Pump, Pentair 420 Cartiridge Filter , 3/4 Max E Glass Pump,
    Fafco Solar Panels, Pentair 300 Heater

9. Back To Top    #9

I use knee highs...
    Intex 20x52 above ground pool-
    10600 gallons
    1 man 4 woman Bullfrog Hot Tub
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pitguy3/se ... 763801706/
    ROLL TIDE!

10. Back To Top    #10

Mmmhmmm.... 10 pair NoNonsense for $2 at Wallyworld....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    Mmmhmmm.... 10 pair NoNonsense for $2 at Wallyworld....
    We think alike!! Save that $$$$
    Intex 20x52 above ground pool-
    10600 gallons
    1 man 4 woman Bullfrog Hot Tub
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pitguy3/se ... 763801706/
    ROLL TIDE!

12. Back To Top    #12

New on the forum, new pool about 6 weeks old.
    I have lots of pine needles and the skimmer sock seems like a good idea, the first I have herad about them is above...questions:

1. will a skimmer sock hurt the return flow to the filter?
    2. will a skimmer sock get clogged up easily? the basket has large holes that ver lap"
    3. do the paint straiiners work as well as skimmer socks?
    4. do the knee highs work as well? does it matter if they have a lot of extra material sitting on teh bottom of the basket?
    hayward cartridge filter c1200
    ao smith 1 hp motor
    22700 inground fiberglass
    no cal

13. Back To Top    #13

Welcome to TFP, Cncpool
    In answer to your first question, I think as long as you clean out the sock, you don't have to worry about impaired return flow to the filter. We get lots of debris so I rinse mine out daily with a garden hose with a sprayer on the end.
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

14. Back To Top    #14

i have used all three types, skimmer socks, paint strainers and knee highs.

The knee highs don't fit on my skimmer basket because it is too big around. The skimmer socks work but are expensive and tend to decompose on me. I like the paint strainers because they are cheaper. Since my neighbor has a pine tree, I try to empty out the paint strainer almost every day. I throw them out when the elastic at top gets worn out. I buy them at Orchard supply or home depot in the 1 gallon size.

Hope that helps.
    Jil
    20k gallon in ground pool w/spa, slide, diving board
    Polaris 280, Pentair 3/4 Booster Pump, Pentair 420 Cartiridge Filter , 3/4 Max E Glass Pump,
    Fafco Solar Panels, Pentair 300 Heater

15. Back To Top    #15

I use the skimmer socks too. Can't say enough good about them. I have so much silt that I replace them 2-3 times a day, let used one dry to ease cleaning out stuff, and then rinse with spray from water hose.

I, also, need silt liners for my Polaris and Pool Blaster. I get queen size women's support hose at WallyWorld, use the legs for the cleaners and the pantie part for the skimmer basket. The pantie part of old control top pantie hose works well also. geekgranny
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

16. Back To Top    #16

cncpool: #2 question...yes, they can get clogged. Watch your pool's environment. Where I lived before, there were about 7 days or so in late fall when this one tree would drop 90% of its leaves. They were sumac-like, with many long leaflets and then a long bare stem, as well. That particular tree could clog up a skimmer basket on a semi-windy day in no time flat! It was not unusual for me to have to clean out the skimmer sox 2x, sometimes even 3x per day during that week-long period.
    Sandy

15,600 gallon, screened 15 x 30 sport pool with 6 x 8 baja shelf, IG plaster (Diamondbrite??), Hayward cartridge filter, 1-HP Hayward pump, Hayward/EUS Mark VI heat pump, Polaris 280, AquaRite SWCG

17. Back To Top    #17

Are there any potential problems with using a skimmer sock. I purchased some of the 1-gallon paint strainers at Home Depot. It picked up lots of tiny "stuff". Will that "stuff" clog the flow through the filter basket?

Thanks!!
    Dory
    East TN
    13,000 gal San Juan Fiberglass Pool;SWG; GoldLine Pro Logic Controls
    Hayward Sand Filter; Hayward Max-Flo XL Pump;Polaris 380; Hayward ColorLogic LED
    Raypak Gas Heater

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by creechy
    Are there any potential problems with using a skimmer sock. I purchased some of the 1-gallon paint strainers at Home Depot. It picked up lots of tiny "stuff". Will that "stuff" clog the flow through the filter basket?

Thanks!!
    Dory
    Hi Dory,

You will need to keep the skimmer sock cleaned out as needed. Sometimes during spring, I need to clean mine every hour!

I must say, however, that the skimmer sock keeps my pool very, very clean!

On an unrelated note, please reduce your signature to a max of five lines of text
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

19. Back To Top    #19

The only problem I have had is when I let the sock get too full and constant force of the suction caused my skimmer basket to crack. If you get a lot of debris you will need to check the skimmer frequently. It does cause you to check and empty the skimmer more frequently, but less of the small debris will get sucked through the skimmer basket into the filter. It will extend the time between cleaning or backwashing the filter.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

20. Back To Top    #20

Sometimes the large and/or small debris will make the basket with sock really hard to get out with the pump running. You can reach down into the basket area a bit and pull just the sock out. With enough practice you can master getting the sock out without losing much debris into the basket.

This past winter and fall I found several places on Internet that had the packages of skimmer socks 1/2 price or less. Like about $4 for 5 with no tax or shipping when ordered with other things. I bought a bunch of packages at those prices.

I am going to check out the paint strainers though.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast