Super Big Umbrella.... Experience anyone?

stevenbrla

LifeTime Supporter
May 10, 2007
Baton Rouge, LA
We're in need of Instant Shade!

might do the pergola thing, but saw one of those 11.5' umbrellas, with the offset stand today, and it looked pretty cool.

it was about $1500, and guessing one could find many online for a little less.

anyone own one?

price?

effectiveness, easy to use, other stuff??

Thanks,
Steve

Are you thinking about one of these? I bought the first one on the left at a local home and garden show for $800.00 (at the time the cheapest I could find them on the web was in the $900.00 range). Several months later we found them at our local BJ's for $399.99. The only difference between the 2 is the fabric on the umbrella. The $800 one has the sunbrella fabric where the $399 doesn't. They come with a light fixture in the center of the umbrella and smaller lights that run down each of the umbrella vains. I believe the company that makes them is by Wanda.

Attachments

• DSCF1184.jpg
    DSCF1184.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 318
Yes, that's what I'm talking about.

I see that Sam's online has one simlar to that, but doesn't mention the lights, for $429. The one that I saw also had lights... but not $1200 worth of lights...

I'll do a search on Wanda... see if I can find her.

I'll try a cheap one first....

I've been looking at getting some shade by the poolside and had been considering those fabric gazebos but they're just too massive and one can't get them out of the way very easily. Just for yucks, I just bought this 10-footer from eBay for ~$110 delivered.

QD003-BL-PATIO.jpg

If I like it... I'll replace next season with a more substantial unit (10' square or 2x 10' square). I'm really liking this look:

2_blue.jpg

I just didn't want to shell out $1K and find that I don't like the shade/operation.

As others have said, you can find the offsets much cheaper than that.

However - and I was just thinking of this earlier today - I think umbrellas are a pain in the patoot. To me, they don't really offer much shade, coupled with the fact that if you live in even a slightly windy area - a little gust can really cause havoc with them. I've had umbrellas become quite the projectiles, even when they are cranked closed and have cast iron weighted stands - so beware.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.