Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Confused about Shock Level

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Pittsfield, Illinois
    Posts
    12

    Confused about Shock Level

    I am still alittle confused about the shock process. I have been going by the direction on the post about small pools. I have been putting in the 8 oz dichlor for the last four nights and making sure the FC is at 4 like the directions said, but the conversion chart says if the CYA level is 30 shock level is 12. So maybe that is why the water is still cloudy? Should I be raising the FC level?
    First Pool 15x48 Intex with metal poles, approx. 4400 gallons. Standard cartridge filter.

  2. Back To Top    #2
    dmanb2b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    3,728

    Re: Confused about Shock Level

    I think the 4 FC is for maintenance...if your CYA is 30, go ahead and raise your FC up to 12 or slightly higher given your recnet dichlor additions...if it were me I would raise the FC with bleach or liquid chlorine while shocking, no need to keep adding CYA while your in the shock process and your already at 30
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

    Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Pittsfield, Illinois
    Posts
    12

    Re: Confused about Shock Level

    Thanks I'll try that if it doesn't clear up. Could it be that all the dichlor just isn't dissolved yet and eventually will clear up?
    First Pool 15x48 Intex with metal poles, approx. 4400 gallons. Standard cartridge filter.

  4. Back To Top    #4
    dmanb2b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    3,728

    Re: Confused about Shock Level

    no...dichlor works pretty fast and contains CYA which is why you want to slow down on using dichlor. 4ppm FC is what your FC should be every day while swimming...to shock your FC needs to go up to 12+ and keep it there until the water clears...hope that helps

    Shock is something you do to your water not add to it...chemical co's just use the term shock as a marketing term...it's just another form of chlorination, just like bleach
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

    Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Pittsfield, Illinois
    Posts
    12

    Re: Confused about Shock Level

    Thanks again that answers my question. I kind of thought that but it didn't mention anything about it in the basic instructions I was reading. So I think I finally understand this process fully.
    First Pool 15x48 Intex with metal poles, approx. 4400 gallons. Standard cartridge filter.

  6. Back To Top    #6
    dmanb2b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    3,728

    Re: Confused about Shock Level

    Your very welcome ...hopefully you can enjoy that pool soon! Just keep your pump running and ensure the filter element stays clean while the water clears...good luck
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

    Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

  7. Back To Top    #7
    cubbybeave08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    881

    Re: Confused about Shock Level

    Quote Originally Posted by riverhilltop
    Thanks again that answers my question. I kind of thought that but it didn't mention anything about it in the basic instructions I was reading. So I think I finally understand this process fully.
    riverhilltop...Read about shocking your pool in pool school...Dmanb is correct...FMP was always telling me this...Shock is something you do to your pool Beaver...not something that you put in the water. With that said...many people often get confuesed about shocking instructions...especially reading packaging instructions. Remember this many times packaging instructions are meant to downplay lawsuits and to keep people from harming themselves...so many times I read these instructions and see FC should be kept at 1-3 ppm and it is not safe to swim until chlorine levels are below 3 ppm. My kids have been swiming anywere between 5-9 ppm, and by the time they get done swimming there is still enough chlorine to keep fighting of algae and bacteria. Follow the instructions here rather than the instructions on the bottle. We all have been swiming well above 5 ppm, and I don't think I have ever read where anyone has been adversly effected by swimming at that level. I wouldn't swim above 9 ppm but others have. That is just me.
    Beave
    Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Wil-Bar Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons
    Swimline J-Blue Opal Liner, 1 4X20 Fafco Solar Bear Solar Heater
    Hayward 2 HP Swim Pro Voyager Pump Micro 150 with 4 way timer
    Swim Pro Voyager Filtration System with Hayward ABS Pearl wide mouth skimmer

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •