All the green is gone! Just a few questions.... Test Results

aharper10

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 6, 2009
Thanks to everyone for helping me get all the green out! The water is sparkling clear now :party:

Up until now, all I've really been concerned with is the FC, CC and CYA. Now that the green's gone I'm gonna try and get everything else right.

My FC hasn't been under 12 in probably three weeks. I checked it today at 4:00 and it was 11.5. I had to get an eyeball from the pool store so I took a sample to let them check. Here is what their results were:

FC - 9.2
CC - 0.0
pH - 7.4
CH - 90
TA - 10
CYA - 25

1.) Ok, so I need to be concerned with the TA and CYA and maybe the pH just a bit, correct ? Assuming these are right, I need to increase the TA ~60 with baking soda and doing so will increase the pH too right?

2.) My pool is in direct sunlight 6+ hours a day so the CYA needs to be 60-80, correct? I have some leftover pucks and was thinking of using the rest of them, that ok?

3.) The last time I checked the CYA it was ~45 and there hasn't been a substantial amount of water replacement. Either I'm way off or they are....so, do I need to disregard their numbers and redo them myself and go by them?

I'm pretty confident testing now, especially the FC and CYA, I am just wondering why the differences and am unsure which to use.

Tell me your thoughts..... :blah:

CYA of 45 is about perfect. You don't want to run it any higher than you have to. pH is perfect as well.

Do you have your own TA result?

I'd check your own test results for the TA, if it is below 60 you should raise it with Baking Soda, which shouldn't affect the PH too much.

Unless you have had substantial water replacement, your CYA of 45 should still be valid. If you are losing a lot of FC during the day, more than 3-4 ppm per day, consider increasing the CYA level. I wouldn't necessarily use pucks to do it though. Save them for vacation use. They will lower the PH and TA and won't increase the CYA quick enough for your purposes.

frustratedpoolmom said:
I'd check your own test results for the TA, if it is below 60 you should raise it with Baking Soda, which shouldn't affect the PH too much.

Unless you have had substantial water replacement, your CYA of 45 should still be valid. If you are losing a lot of FC during the day, more than 3-4 ppm per day, consider increasing the CYA level. I wouldn't necessarily use pucks to do it though. Save them for vacation use. They will lower the PH and TA and won't increase the CYA quick enough for your purposes.

Ok, I'll check my TA today and adjust if needed. I do lose a lot of FC during the day, sometimes up to 5 ppm, so I'll prob raise my CYA a bit. I'll save the pucks for later. Thanks!!!

Ok, just got home and checked the:

FC - 9
TA - 50
CYA - ~37

The pool store is way off! Ya think they purposely show everything low to sell more? That be crazy.

Alright now, so the pool calculator says to add 3qts 3c of baking soda. I pour this slowly into my skimmer, all at once? How long do I need to run the pump and how long before re-testing?

I am losing a lot of FC during the day when it's sunny out. It was mostly cloudy today and I lost 3 ppm. I lose water to evaporation or the leak I have also, right now I'm about 1/4 inch below the arrow on my skimmer. I am adding about water about every 6 days. I think I need to increase the CYA because of this. Would increasing it to 50 be ok or should I do more?

Thanks!

Try increasing the CYA to 50 and see how that does before you think about going higher.

Pool store test results are usually wrong because they tend to use inexpensive test kits/machines operated by people with no training. How much the people running the chain have thought about the implications of that is entertaining to speculate about, but difficult to know.

It is best to pre-dissolve baking soda in a bucket and then pour that in front of a return. Keep the pump running for at least an hour. Re-testing is probably acceptable after an hour, but I would give it four hours before testing if you aren't in a huge rush.

JasonLion said:
Try increasing the CYA to 50 and see how that does before you think about going higher.

Pool store test results are usually wrong because they tend to use inexpensive test kits/machines operated by people with no training. How much the people running the chain have thought about the implications of that is entertaining to speculate about, but difficult to know.

It is best to pre-dissolve baking soda in a bucket and then pour that in front of a return. Keep the pump running for at least an hour. Re-testing is probably acceptable after an hour, but I would give it four hours before testing if you aren't in a huge rush.

Ok, will do. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.